Chapter Fourteen

"That should do it, Amra." Viperpaw meowed, weaving the final bramble tendril into place and finishing it off by adding some moss to keep out the wind and weather. She turned around and padded around the new den. "How's that, Xena?"

"Perfect." The queen purred and shifted in her nest. "Thank you, Viperpaw."

"Of course," the apprentice purred and sat down. A few days had gone by since the loners had been welcomed into the Clan and it was hard for the Clan to adjust to the five new mouths to feed.

Since Viperpaw gave the prey she'd caught to the newcomers instead of bringing it back to the camp, Beetlestar had ordered her to help make a new den for Xena. Since none of the other queens wanted their kits to share a den with the 'flea-bitten outsiders', Viperpaw helped Amra with the new den.

She loved spending time with her new Clanmates. Playing with Allie was a bunch of fun, and Xena said they owed her an unpayable debt for bringing them into the Clan. Viperpaw adored the young kit, despite the family refusing to take Clan names.

"We like our names," Amari had explained when Viperpaw had asked. "Changing them now would be pointless since we've had them during our journey here."

Viperpaw understood. She liked her name as well, and changing it would've been strange and would feel odd on her tongue. Nonetheless, she loved the new cats and she spent every free moment with them.

"Hey, Viperpaw?" Armari called, trotting up toward them as her new mentor, Badgerstorm, padded away.

Armari was older than her by about four moons but had to be made an apprentice so she could learn the ways of a Clan cat. She got Badgerstorm as her mentor and the pair turned out to be great with each other.

"What's up?" Viperpaw faced her friend. The sight of her shimmering eyes told her that the brown she-cat had good news.

"Dawnslash let me play with her kits!" Armani bounced on her paws like a kit, her eyes bright.

Viperpaw purred. "That's great, Armani!" She nodded and flicked her tail. "Dawnslash must trust you a lot to let you play with her kits."

Armani shrugged and twitched her ear. "I guess," she looked at Viperpaw. "By the way, Cursedblood is looking for you."

"What does he want?"

Armani gave a big shrug. "I dunno, but he sounded angry." She meowed and padded by into the new den.

Viperpaw felt a surge of uncertainty wash over her as she made her way across the camp toward the warrior's den. What does Cursedblood want? Poking her head into the den, she scanned the nests.

"Looking for Cursedblood?" Meowed the voice of Thrushpool as she prodded the apprentice with a paw.

Viperpaw turned and blinked at the she-cat. "Do you know where he is?" She asked.

Thrushpool flicked her ear to where a group of cats were lashing their tails and hissing at the camp's entrance. She saw her father and Amberpaw among them, along with Cursedblood. Meowing a thank you to Thrushpool, she hurried to get to her mentor.

"What do you need, Cursedblood?" She meowed, seeing the furious look on her mentor's face.

"We're going to invade ShadowClan's camp," he growled, his tail lashing. "They've pushed the border too many times and Beetlestar wants us on the patrol."

Viperpaw stared at her mentor. "Why me?" She asked a bit stunned that Beetlestar would want her on the patrol. "I've barely had any battle training."