Chapter One

"Viperkit, wake up." Mewed a high-pitched voice, making the kit's ear twitch. "Wake up, Viperkit!"

Another voice, more stern than the first, made Viperkit inwardly groan. "Poppykit, let her sleep."

"But Applefrost!" Complained the first cat, Poppykit. "You said we could see the Clan when she opens her eyes!"

"When she opens her eyes," Applefrost repeated sternly. "Telling her to wake up won't make her eyes open any quicker."

Viperkit let out a small grunt as she shifted, pressing herself against the soft belly of her mother. All I want to do is sleep. She thought, her small tail lashing in anger.

"But there's so much to see!" Poppykit prodded Viperkit's side, making her flinch. "Come on, Viperkit, don't you want to see the camp and all the cats we haven't met?"

"Leave me alone, Poppykit," Viperkit mumbled crossly, turning her head away from her sister. As she shifted into a more comfortable position, Poppykit groaned.

"She's awake, Applefrost." She pointed out. Viperkit pictured her mother rolling her eyes and shaking her head at Poppykit. The image brought a smirk to Viperkit's face.

"And whose fault is that?" Meowed Applefrost as she flicked her tail over Viperkit, making her purr. "Just because she's awake, doesn't mean she's opened her eyes yet."

"Ugh," the sound of Poppykit flopping onto the ground made Viperkit choke back a laugh. "Don't laugh at me!" Teeth sank into her tail and Viperkit let out a squeak of pain, kicking out with her hind legs and striking something. "Ow!"

Viperkit pried her eyes open, feeling pain all over her face as the crust broke away and light blinded her. Everything was blurry as she peered around, spotting her mother's unmistakable bright red-orange tabby fur. It nearly blinded Viperkit as she looked up her mother's body, seeing her scolding Poppykit.

"It wasn't my fault!" Poppykit was arguing as she glared over at Viperkit. "It was-" She stopped, her eyes widening. "She opened her eyes!"

"I have a name, you know," Viperkit grumbled, looking back to her mother. Applefrost had the brightest green eyes she had ever seen and it startled Viperkit. Are my eyes that green? She wondered.

Poppykit bounded toward her, her eyes, which were a dull blue, wide and happy. "You finally opened them!" She squeaked. "Now we can see the camp!"

"Not so fast," Applefrost meowed, placing a paw on Poppykit's tail. "Your fur makes you look like you were dragged through thorns backward! You need to look perfect when you meet the Clan." She pulled her kit toward her chest, starting to lick her fur.

"No!" Wailed Poppykit as she tried to wiggle her way out of her mother's grasp. "Help me!"

There was a loud purr from the opposite side of the large den and Viperkit noticed a white speckled black she-cat watching on in amusement. She didn't look like Applefrost, as her pelt was different and her eyes were a completely different color. "When you get older, you'll be grooming yourself every single day."

Poppykit let out a shriek of fear as she froze, giving Applefrost the chance to clean her without struggle. "I won't ever grow up!" She declared. "I'll stay in the nursery forever!"

"And you'll be bored for the rest of your life," Viperkit meowed, shaking her head and peering at the new cat. "Who are you?"

"Viperkit! Be nice!" Applefrost scolded as she groomed Poppykit.

"It's okay, Applefrost," purred the she-cat. "My name's Badgerstorm, little one." The speckled she-cat dipped her head to Viperkit. "I'm a friend of your father."