The War Will Go On

Ten days later

A slow vehicle rumbled through the quiet forest road, its suspension was a little lopsided at the back but it was good enough to navigate around the litter strewn on the road.

"There's something off, Vik. I've a weird feeling about this place. It's too quiet. No forest sounds- birds or crickets or the sort," Carol said looking around through the window. 

Viktor was silent for a beat. Then he said, "We’re being watched."

"What?" 

"No other explanation for a quiet forest. There's a presence here and it's keeping away the other animals. The road is free of zombies or corpses and all this debris seems deliberately placed, just to make sure you have to zig zag around it. So yeah, we're being watched. Let's just hope that this time it's the good guys."

Viktor drove on through the road and entered a denser area. After a few minutes of driving he noticed a man walk into the middle of the road from the tree cover on his left. Viktor stopped. The man was a remarkable specimen. Black, more than seven foot tall, built like a brick house with muscles bulging out of the camo vest he was wearing. What was more intimidating was that he held a mini gun aimed at them and smiled. 

Within seconds, they heard a voice from a hidden speaker somewhere, "please exit your vehicle and raise your hands. Cooperate with us. You will not be hurt."

They looked at each other. 

"What do we do?" asked Carol. 

Viktor let out a breath. "We wait. Let's see if they mean the 'you will not be hurt' part."

Carol looked at Viktor as if he was crazy. He was still staring at the man. “Vik, that ‘roadblock’ looks like he means business.” She decided to stick with his plan anyway.

They waited for five long minutes. The ‘roadblock’ hadn't moved nor changed expression. No one else had attacked them or even come close to their car. 

"OK. Now we cooperate," said Viktor.

They both got out of the vehicle and raised their hands. Four people, two on each side, came out into the clearing aiming their guns at the pair. Dressed in army fatigues with goggles and gas masks, they kept their distance yet had them covered with their weapons. They waited for a few more minutes. 

Viktor knew they were waiting for their superior or orders. A good look at the uniforms, tactics and weapons gave Viktor an idea who he was dealing with. He knew these were no amateurs, these were professionals. Soldiers- special forces. He found himself desperately hoping these were the good guys. 

Carol was getting restless. She didn't fancy keeping her arms raised while people aimed weapons at her. "Somebody better start talking soon."  

"Sorry to keep you waiting," they heard a thick accented voice behind them, "we gotta be thorough with the scanners here." 

They turned around to see another man in army fatigues walking up to them. This man had no goggles or gas mask. He looked slightly older, greying at the temples but he was definitely not a pushover. 

"Just making sure you're not one of them. They haven't tried this route yet but if they do we'll have to eliminate them. You can put your hands down," he said smiling at the pair

"So, what is this? Who are they? Who are you?" Carol had too many questions but only voiced the most urgent ones. 

The man chuckled to himself and then looked at Viktor and Carol in turn. His gaze returned to Viktor, he scrutinised him for an extra minute and commented, "I reckon I’ve seen you somewhere."

"Doubt it," Viktor countered expressionless. 

"Alright," the man continued, "I’m Captain Hood. We are the first line of defence to where you're trying to get to."

Carol stifled a laugh, "Captain Hood? And these are your merry men?" 

Captain Hood laughed, "Aye ma'm, you can say that. My merry men and I allow only friendlies to enter. The rest are sent to meet their maker."

"The six of you won't be enough to stop everyone who tries." said Viktor. 

"Aye, that’s true. But who said there's only six? We've got enough to route a decent sized army, and with the death traps and trenches, no one’s going anywhere but hell unless I say otherwise." 

Viktor looked impressed and nodded. 

"Please come with me," Hood said. 

They followed him to a little hut. He sat them down and asked them names and details. Viktor also gave him a description of the 'flying Lego' and the events that transpired. Hood was competent, taking notes and making appropriate comments. He made some more notes on a sheet of paper and folded them all up. He insisted they have lunch which consisted of rations. He even had the first bite to reassure them that they wouldn’t be poisoned or drugged. Finally they were done.