A Helping Hand?

The sun had almost set completely, travelling in the dark wasn't a good idea at all. It was impossible to travel without the headlights on and that would attract Z-packs.

“There,” Carol pointed at a small clothes store that had its door wide open, “looks like only one small front entrance and maybe just an as small extra back exit; and the store looks small enough to be unnoticeable,. It should be good for the night.”

Viktor parked right outside the door. “Reckon the big window might be a problem?”

“We just can't use any lights, is all,” replied Carol.

Before leaving the vehicle, Viktor attached silencers to two handguns, handing one to Carol. During the day, the sounds may be masked but at night even the howling wind was silent. They exited the vehicle cautiously, guns ready. Carol also carried her shotgun strapped across her back. Viktor clicked the lock on the key fob and locked the vehicle, more out of habit than necessity. He didn't except the zombies to open the doors nor break the glass; it was an unmarked police vehicle and the windows were all bulletproof and had grills.

They nodded to each other and walked silently into the store. After waiting for a few seconds to adjust to the darkness in the store, they walked further in. The store was bigger than it looked from the outside, but the recon didn't take long. The back exit was still locked. They found a rather spacious employees room in the back that only had a high small window for ventilation and still smelled of stale cigarettes.

“Oh man,” complained Carol in a low tone. She was proud to have never smoked in her life and always brought it up, Viktor pretended to believe her.

They rounded back to the entrance.

“Looks clear, let's get supplies in for the night. I'll watch.” Carol motioned to the vehicle.

“Fair enough and besides, with that room in the back-we can use some light for a bit.” Viktor handed his gun to her, walked back and collected a couple of water bottles and canned food, a small battery-powered lamp with adjustable brightness and two blankets.

“After you, my lady,” he bowed expecting an annoyed comeback or at least a pair of rolling eyes.

“Why, thank you kind sir,” giggled Carol.

Viktor laughed to himself silently. 'Women! I'll never understand them.'

He closed the shop door jamming the handle and then proceeded to the back room. Viktor lit the lamp to the lowest setting, Carol locked the door and put a chair under the handle.

“Just in case,” she winked at Viktor's confused look.

Viktor pushed the remaining chairs to one side and sat on the floor leaning on the wall, Carol sat next to him. They ate their 'dinner' in silence.

“I've wanted to ask you,” Carol said after finishing her food, “about dad. I mean, that day he looked at you like he knew you would care, that you... wouldn't say no to him, that he could trust you; that he could trust you with me. There's some history, right?”