Robots Of Sherwood

*TARDIS*

The Doctor is doing Gallifreyan maths on a blackboard, near his bookcase. Clara is down by the console, swivelling in his easy chair and I am at the console.

"Take a punt," the Doctor says.

"Right" Clara replies.

"Your choice. Wherever, whenever, anywhere in time and space" I say.

"Well, there is something, someone that I've always wanted to meet. But I know what you two will say" Clara says.

"Try us," the Doctor says.

"You'll say he's made up, that there is no such thing."

"Go on" I say.

"It's. It's Robin Hood" Clara says.

"Robin Hood," the Doctor says, Clara goes up to the Doctor.

"Yeah. I love that story. I've always loved it, ever since I was little."

"Robin Hood, the heroic outlaw, who robs from the rich and gives to the poor" I say.

"Yeah."

"He's made up. There's no such thing" I say.

"Ah, you see?" Clara says, the Doctor takes a book from the bookcase.

"Old-fashioned heroes only exist in old-fashioned story books, Clara," the Doctor says.

"And what about you two?"

"Us?"

"Yeah, you two. You stop bad things happening every minute of every day. That sounds pretty heroic to me" the Doctor licks something from a large metal spoon.

"Just passing the time. Hey, what about Mars?"

"What?!" Clara asks.

"Doctor..." I mutter looking up at him.

"The Ice Warrior Hives," the Doctor says.

"You said it was my choice," Clara says.

"Or the Tumescent Arrows of the Half-Light. Those girls can hold their drink."

"Doctor."

"And fracture fifteen different levels of reality simultaneously. I think I've got a Polaroid somewhere."

"Doctor! My choice. Robin Hood. Show me" the Doctor turns away and Clara looks to me which I was typing something.

"Earth. England. Sherwood Forest. 1190AD. Ish" I say the Doctor turns as I start the TARDIS.

"You'll only be disappointed," the Doctor says.

*Time skip*

The birds are singing, and a long tree trunk has been placed across the stream to act as a bridge. The TARDIS materialises slightly up the slope and the Doctor steps out, followed by me.

"No damsels in distress, no pretty castles, no such thing as Robin Hood," the Doctor says, I quickly move as an arrow slams into the TARDIS. A figure dressed in green pops up from behind a tree trunk on the other side of the stream.

"You called?" the man winks "very, very nicely done with the box. I saw a Turk perform something very similar at Nottingham Fayre" I pull the arrow out, and the hole vanishes "it's a trick with mirrors, no doubt?"

"A trick?" I ask.

"A good jest. Ha, ha!"

"You could say that-"