Chapter 15

Addison

It the last week of school before Christmas break, and for a Monday, it’s supposed to be dead...nothing should be interesting.

Not this Monday.

Jo and I walk into the cafeteria a bit late, but I can already feel the tension in the air. My eyes immediately scan the Elite’s table, where I can see Miami, ready to pounce, eyes bloodshot.

“DON’T TOUCH ME!” she yells, moving her body out of Darren’s reach. She narrowed her eyes.”Don’t Ever. Touch. Me. Again.” Every word is laced with bitterness, hurt, and anger.

I want to comfort her, but I know Miami, she’s a strong girl, she can fight her own battles. And, why would I walk into fight?

“Miami,” Darren fumes, his anger radiating. “Stop this nonsense right now.”

She starts shaking her head so much I’m surprised her head doesn’t fall off. “No, Darren, I’m not foolishly running back to you over and over again. Loving you is like being swallowed by darkness. I’ve lost myself. There is no love between me and you. There’s nothing.The flames have finally been put out, and I think it’s for the best. You are a friggin monster, Darren.”

“Miami-”

“DON’T “MIAMI” ME!” She screams. She turns to rest of her table. “And I’m done with you assholes, too. I hope the guys have fun in jail, because very soon, that’s where you’ll be rotting, when I press charges.”

Hailey’s entertained face drops, replaced with anger. “What the hell are you talking about, bitch?”

Miami gives a snarky smile, and starts to walk away. “You’ll find out in court, bitch.”

Hailey stands up, her face red. “You answer me right now.”

Miami keeps walking, never turning back. Whatever is going on, can’t be good.

Sawyer

I’m halfway to my car when my cellphone rings, and I have to balance my books in one hand to fish out my cellphone. “Hey, babes.”

Addison sigh’s on the other end. “Hey. I’m concerned about your sister. She broke up with Darren at lunch, and I don’t think when you break up with someone there’s a promise of seeing them in court.”

“She broke up with him? It’s about time. The guy is a complete douche, and Addie, the guy-”

“Sawyer, don’t make this about me right now. Before you met me, I was trying to pick up my broken pieces, I was wearing a sad face, walking on eggshells, getting beat up, and I was desolate and alone. I wore the same face that you’re sister is wearing right now. It’s the face of complete and utter desperation. I can see through her “tough” look. Please call her.”

“Okay, I’ll call her after school. Shouldn’t you be in class?”

“I’m going. Bye.”

I throw my books in the back and slouch against the carseat, groaning. When my dad died, it was hard for us to get back into life. Miami and I were in such desolation, that we we’re forced to see a therapist. We loved him so much, and when he died, it felt like we were drowning. We were left to pick up all the broken pieces. I know people think that happy families only exist in television, but for us, that wasn’t true. We we’re content. We had everything. There was no secrets, no aloofness. Everything was fine.

Until he died. That ruined me, and it still does, but I've managed to get back up my feet. I'm starting to see the sun again, and I hope that the clouds don't ever cover it up again.

When dad died, it felt like I was trying to breathe and there was no air.

When I call my mom- because apparently Miami can’t pick up her cellphone- she answers happily, in a really chirpy voice. “Hey, Sawyer!”

“Hey, mom. Where’s Miami?”

“She’s in her room, blasting music. She doesn’t want to talk to anyone.”

“Do you know if she’s okay? Addison told me that she broke up with Darren at lunch.”

Mom exhales. “I don’t know if she’s okay, but I do know that ever since last year when she started dating Darren that there’s been a change in her behaviour. I worry for her, Sawyer, I really do. If she let’s you, please talk to her.”

“I promise, mom.”

That promise wasn’t the easiest, I realized after I hung up with my mom, because every time I called Miami, there was no answer. I’ve left her countless messages and emails to encourage her. In my defence, I’ve done the best I could.