Chapter 7

Sawyer

I used to live ten minutes away from campus, and now I live twenty-two minutes away. It’s only because my last landlord was getting a divorce, and since the house was in his wife’s name, he couldn’t keep it. So, I got kicked out.

Now, I’m moving in on Tripaska St., and will be forced to leave the house earlier to avoid be late for classes.

“Aren’t you the guy who saved me?’ a very quiet, soft and tender voice asks.

I put down a box of most likely useless stuff, and turn so that I can put a face to the feminine voice. It’s Addison Coleman, the girl I saved and she also happens to live three houses down from me. “I am.”

“I just wanted to say thanks.”

I give her a charming smile. “I would never turn down a damsel in distress.”

She puts her hands on her hips. “Oh, really?”

“What?” I ask, keeping my voice light and playful. “You don’t believe me?”

“I believe you, I just find it strange that you just let two random people hop into your car like that.” She tilts her head, thinking. “I could’ve killed you…”

“It could’ve been the other way around,” I counter.

She nods her head in agreement. “True. Well, thanks. I better get going.”

“Wait.” I bite my lip. “I just want to let you know that I believe you.”

Her pupils dilate, and I can see the fear written all over her face. “Our ‘mutual’ friend told you, I’m guessing? The one who knows me but I don’t know her?”

I shake my head. “She’’s my sister, and no, she wouldn’t tell me anything...I looked you up online.”

She closes her eyes, and I can see the pain there. “You're a good guy, Sawyer. Please don’t say anything. Please just, drop it.”

“Okay.”

“Good.”

“Do you want to know who my sister is?”

She opens her eyes. “Not really.”

“Okay...how about we see a movie next week?”

“What?”

“I said, how about-”

“I heard what you said. I just can’t begin to understand why-”

“Addison. I’m not asking you to go car racing. I’m asking you to go see a movie.”

“Do you have friends? Aren’t college and university students supposed to be partying their life away?”

I laugh, making a blush creep across her face. “Yeah, but it’s good to meet new people.”

“Fine.”

“Good,” I answer back, smiling. “Next Friday, I’ll pick you up at 6:30.”

She rolls her eyes, and starts walking home, making me wonder if she really came out in the cold weather just to say thank-you to me. Probably not, but still.

I had a date.

Addison

“That was a fast walk,” Tris tells me when I walk into the house. “It involved a lot of talking.”

I lift my eyebrow. “Clearly not fast enough if Zachary and Sabra are still here.”

She smirks, and grabs a beer from the fridge. “How’s the baby doing?”

“The baby is doing an excellent job at making his mommy throw up, spit and eat until she blows up to the size of a balloon.”

“How do you know it’s a he?”

“Fine, she.”

Zachary comes into the kitchen, and by instinct, I move closer to Tris. “What could be a she?” he asks.

I rake my fingers through my hair. I can’t believe he isn’t uncomfortable for him? Does he not feel the guilt of knowing he could be the father-unless...he doesn’t know.

Tris must realize this too, because she gives a curt not and simply says,”Nothing.”

He grabs a water bottle and leaves the room. Air returns to my lungs again.

“She didn’t tell him,” I say, wanting Tris to confirm or deny this.

“Guess not.”

“He’s going to find out sooner or later,” I whisper. “He and five other guys could be the father.”

Tris squeezes my hand. “Addie, what’s in the darkness must come to the light. Don’t worry, we’ll get through this.”

Hopefully.