Dionysus, Twice-Born Greek God

When I was a little girl, I read the story aboutDionysus Zagreus' death and rebirth. It is such a dark and violent story, yet so full of hope and the joy of living, and it's such a pity that the school manuals and standard Greek mythology books and tales rarely if ever mention it!

Dionysus is mostly known as the god of wine, followed by drunken and orgiastic acolytes like Silenus with the horse ears and the raving Maenads (bacchantes).
Greek theatre -- the immortal tragedies and comedies of the Attic dramaturgists -- is rooted in the ritualistic festivals surrounding the god's worship. This is also quite widespread knowledge.

What is not so known, is the myth about Dionysus' first birth, under the name of Zagreus. This myth was told to participants of the god's Mysteries and it was cited in the Orphic hymns, a collection of poems attributed to the mythical hero Orpheus (remember Eurydice?)

As is most usually the case, this Greek myth about god Dionysus is immortal, because it speaks of a reality inherent to human nature and human society -- in such simple words!

How Zeus kills concubine and saves son

Zeus was the king of Greek gods at the time.

One day, he saw a beautiful mortal named Semele, princess of Thebes, and he desired her. He got his way with her. But the jealous wife Hera found out and decided she would come away with her rival.

Hera disguised as an old servant and adviced Semele. "Tell the handsome you want to see him in all his godly glory. But, hey, be careful - he won't do it of his own accord, so you have to trick him and make him promise you. Be sure to make him take the holy unbreakable oath first." Semele thought this was a cool idea.

After impatient Zeus fell for the little ploy, he tried to change the girl's mind. He knew this should not happen, for no mortal could face a god without being consumed by their immortal nature. But Semele, brainwashed by Hera, insisted. (Yes, our neighbours called her Eve, Byzantine Greeks called her Kerkoporta**, etc)

Zeus, the king of kings, the resplended, master of thunder and lightning, appeared - and Semele the mortal was instantly hit by his lightning bolts and consumed by flames.

Semele was some months pregnant - the foetus was not lost though, as Zeus provided for shelter by "sewing" it onto his thigh. When the time was due, Dionysus was born.

The Orphic story about god Dionysus' first birth

He was a child of darkness and lightning

Some myths relate that Dionysus, whom they also call Zagreus, was not the son of Semele, but of Persephone, goddess of the Underworld. This fits perfect with the rest of the story...

Hera's wrath was not appeased. In this case, the rival was a goddess. Hera could not turn against her, so the son was to pay for his parents' affair. Of course, being a queen, Hera wouldn't get her hands dirty - so, she sent in the henchmen.

The Titans approached little Zagreus and - please, pay ATTENTION here

The Titans lured Zagreus with toys
Something to distract him with
Shiny and desirable
Misleading, serpentine
Eva, Kerkoporta, again

The Titans snatched the boy. They killed him, ripped him apart and ate him.

When they were about to devour his heart, a goddess finally appeared, an ally of Zeus.
It was either Athene, or Rhea (Zeus' mother), or Persephone, the killed boy's mother.

She drove away the Titans and brought the heart to Zeus. Zagreus was saved.
Zeus got involved with Semele, gave her the heart to swallow and she became pregnant -- but we already told this story.

The Titans lured Zagreus with toys

** Kerkoporta
When the Ottoman Turks sacked Constantinopolis (Istanbul) and conquered the last remnants of the once-mighty Byzantine empire, the lament was heard across civilized Europe.
A legend was soon formed -- it certainly contains elements of truth, yet it serves more to underline the role of treachery and carelessness in the abolition and breakdown of empires, armies and lives.

Kerkoporta was a little side door along the walls that protected the Graeco-Roman capital. Tradition goes that, being left open by accident or by an inside traitor, the door provided passage to the besiegers and led to seizing of the Polis (Constantinopolis).

Greek history and tradition conserves several incidents and legends illustrating treachery. Ephialtes leading the Persian army to the backs of the 300 at Thermopylae is another notorious "Kerkoporta" incident. History repeats itself -- again, and again, and again...

 {Thank you so much for supporting this history stories.I hope you wont feel tired reading ,supporting and loving this kind of story.THANK YOU SO MUCH :DD }