Helen/HeH Len/Ελεν/The Beautiful Daughter of Zeus

Helen was one of the most important figures in Greek history, her influence on the ancient Greek world cannot be overstated. She is unfairly blamed for the Trojan War which caused the deaths of thousands of mortal men and women as well as dozens of demigods. The Trojan War was planned and executed by the Immortals ... Helen was simply a convenient tool to be used and then discarded to achieve the higher, divine goals of Zeus and the other Olympians.

=========================================================================

Young Helen

Helen was the daughter of Zeus and Leda ... she was raised by Leda and her husband King Tyndareus of Sparta. Her brothers Kastor (Castor) and Polydeukes (Polydeuces or Pollux) were also children of Zeus but she had two half-sisters, Klytemnestra (Clytemnestra) and Timandra, who were the daughters of Leda and Tyndareus.

Zeus came to Leda in the guise of a swan and seduced her. King Tyndareus knew that three of his children were a divine origin but raised them as if they were his own children. Despite the support of Tyndareus and her personal relationship with Zeus, Leda finally killed herself in desperation after suffering through the tragic lives of her children.

Zeus, in the guise of a swan, seducing Leda.

Helen entered the legends and hearts of the Greeks when she was kidnapped from her home by two men who were otherwise regarded as noble individuals. The legendary king of the Lapithae, Peirithoos (Pirithous), and the Athenian hero Theseus were responsible for the kidnapping of Helen when she was a young girl.

While visiting the city of Sparta, Peirithoos and Theseus saw Helen dancing in the temple of the goddess Artemis. They were captivated by her beauty and took the girl against her will. After they had successfully escaped their pursuers, the two villains drew lots to see who would be allowed to marry Helen ... it was agreed that the winner would help the loser find another wife. Theseus won the draw but was afraid to officially marry Helen because she was so young. He finally devised a plan where he would hide Helen with his mother until she was of marrying age.

Helen's brothers, Kastor and Polydeukes went searching for Helen and in doing so, ransacked most of Attica. They found Helen but not before she became pregnant with Theseus's child. Helen was returned to her family before the child was born and persuaded her sister Klytemnestra, who was already married, to raise the child as her own. Helen's child was named Iphigenia (Iphianassa).

The Marriage of Helen

When Helen was old enough to marry, Tyndareus was besieged with offers from men of wealth and influence. They all offered riches in exchange for Helen. Some of the men who became suitors of Helen were:

Philoktetes (Philoctetes) - Although he was rejected as the husband of Helen, the renowned archer Philoktetes fulfilled his oath to King Tyndareus and joined the army to rescue Helen. He was bitten by a snake on the way to Troy and abandoned on the island of Lemnos. He was finally rescued by Odysseus and fought in the final battle of the Trojan War.   The two sons of Amphiaraus - Fear of the Immortals and the indignation of other men caused them to be unsuccessful suitors.   Odysseus - He never really believed that he would be chosen to wed Helen because he knew that Menelaos would be chosen. Menelaos sent many gifts to Helen's brothers Kastor and Polydeukes to gain their favor.   Iphiklos (Iphiclus) - He offered many gifts to King Tyndareus but was rejected.   Protesilaos (Protesilaus) - He too offered many gifts to King Tyndareus but was considered to be overbearing and thus rejected.   Menestheus - He came from Athens with many valuable gifts for King Tyndareus. He offered more treasure and gold than any of the other suitors but was rejected.   Lykomedes (Lycomedes) - He came from Crete as suitor and later fought valiantly at Troy for the sake of Helen.   Telamonian Aias - The powerful warrior came from Salamis with gifts and the promise to gather large numbers of sheep and oxen for King Tyndareus.   Elephenor - He came from Euboia as suitor of Helen with desire in his heart and many gifts for Helen's father.   Idomeneus - The grandson of King Minos came from Crete to wed Helen.   Menelaos (Menelaus) - Agamemnon wooed Helen for his brother Menelaos who was finally chosen to be Helen's husband.   Achilles was not a suitor of Helen because he was too young, otherwise he would have been the perfect husband for her.