Family of Zeus

ZEUS was the King of the Gods, and the god of weather, fate, law and order.

The majority of Zeus' children were only linked to him with the briefest of genealogical references. Most of these were the mythical founders of certain (historical) noble and royal houses, who naturally wished to claim descent from the king of the gods.

The quotes on this page are merely a collection of odd genealogical references. For actual myths featuring Zeus, his loves and children, see the Zeus Loves and Favour pages (under constuction).

(1) DIVINE OFFSPRING

AGDISTIS A Hermaphroditic God born when Zeus accidentally impregnated Gaia the Earth. Fearful of this strange creature the gods castrated it, and it became the goddess Kybele. [Agdistis and Kybele and their parents were Phrygian gods later identified with Greek counterparts].

AIGIPAN A Rustic God, son of Zeus and Aix or Boetis (the wife of Pan).

ALATHEIA The Goddess of Truth was a daughter of Zeus.

APHRODITE The Goddess of Love was, according to some, a daughter of Zeus and the Titaness Dione (most accounts, however, say she was born in the sea from the severed genitals of Ouranos).

APOLLON The God of Music, Prophecy and Healing was a son of Zeus and the Titaness Leto.

ARES The God of War was a son of Zeus and his wife Hera.

ARTEMIS The Goddess of Hunting and Protectress of Young Girls was a daughter of Zeus and the Titaness Leto.

ASOPOS The God of the River Asopos in Argos (Southern Greece) was, according to some, the son of Zeus and Eurynome (most accounts, however, call him a son of Okeanos and Tethys).

ATE The Goddess of Blind Folly and Ruin was, according to some, a daughter of Zeus (others say she was born fatherless to Eris).

ATHENE The Goddess of Warcraft, Wisdom and Craft was sprung directly from the head of Zeus. Her mother was the Titaness Metis whom Zeus had swallowed whole in pregnancy.

BRITOMARTIS The Goddess of Hunting and Fishing Nets was a daughter of Zeus and the Nymphe Karme.

DIKE The Goddess of Justice, one of the three Horai, was a daughter of Zeus and the Titaness Themis.

DIONYSOS The God of Wine and Debauchery was a son of Zeus and Semele (or in a few unorthodox accounts, of Zeus and Demeter or Dione).

EILEITHYIA The Goddess (or Goddesses) of Childbirth were daughters of Zeus and Hera.

EIRENE The Goddess of Peace, one of the three Horai, was a daughter of Zeus and the Titaness Themis.

ERIS The Goddess of Strife and Warfare was, according to some, a daughter of Zeus and Hera (most, however, say she was a daughter of Nyx).

ERSA The Goddess of the Dew was a daughter of Zeus and the Titaness Selene.

EUNOMIA The Goddess of Good Governance, one of the three Horai, was a daughter of Zeus and the Titaness Themis.

HARMONIA The Goddess of Harmony was, according to one author, a daughter of Zeus and the Pleiad Elektra (the usual account makes her a daughter of Ares and Aphrodite who was only fostered by the Pleiad).

HEBE The Goddess of Youth was a daughter of Zeus and Hera.

HEPHAISTOS The God of Smiths was, according to some, a son of Zeus and Hera (though many say Hera conceived him without the assistance of Zeus).