Chapter 6

On Monday Violet sat in her biology class learning about Evolution by her teacher who was old and knew what he was talking about. Every time he talked about the gene pool or whales that used to have legs his eyes sparkled with admiration all ways saying "Isn't that amazing?" He was so engrossed about teaching the students about Evolution he wasn't asking any question- which was fine by Violet.

Her jean pocket vibrated and Violet saw she received a text from Raven. She hadn't responded to her texts over the weekend as she was sceptical about hanging out with her again. She came with the conclusion that those people weren't normal and it would be best to take Silver's advice and stay away. So she ignored the text and kept listening to Mr Coleman, but another text came through and another.

Curiosity got the better of her and she unlocked her phone to read them.

Hey Violet, I was wondering if you wanted to grab lunch today?

It doesn't have to be today or lunchtime

?

Violet didn't want to seem rude Raven had done nothing bad to her. So she texted her back.

Sorry, I'm in class. How about dinner tonight?

So much for staying away from them. Violet promised herself that she would make friends with Raven, but not with the others- she thought it was a brilliant idea. A few minutes passed and another buzz sounded form her pocket.

Dinner sounds perfect. I'll pick u up at 5:30?

Violet sent back an OK, she'd text Sylvia about tonight at lunch time. She knew she'd say yes, because the thought of Violet having some sort of friends made Sylvia happy.

****

"So you're adopted?" Raven asked as they ate their very rare steaks at the Slaughter house. Violet was surprised to see Raven order her steak to be cooked very rare just like Violet. People always said to her that she would get poisoned from such raw meat, but as disgusting as it may sound she liked the taste of the blood.

"Yeah, when I was five my parents died and I was adopted by the Carter's." Violet never liked to tell people she was adopted, it made her feel more of an outcast, but as soon as people saw the skin colour difference they didn't need to be told.

"Oh that explains it." Raven mumbled to herself.

Violet was confused by the comment that she was obviously not supposed to hear. "Explains what?"

Guilty, Raven looked up at her, "Oh nothing..."

She began to say something but stopped when someone approached their table. "Well hello ladies." Maliki said as he took the seat next to Violet draping his arm lazily behind her chair. He wore long cargo pants and a white t-shirt with his hair wet like he just had a shower. "What brings you gals out here?"

"Maliki go away." She gave him a stern look, but he only ignored her and looked at Violet making her uncomfortable. His blue eyes stood out in the dark lighting almost in a unnatural way.

"Anyway what brings a lone wolf like yourself to Silver Mountain?"

"Maliki stop, you now she doesn't know." Raven said.

Violet didn't like it how they kept talking to one another about her as if she wasn't there. "Don't know what? You guys are really starting to get on my nerves." She said finally fed up. "You all act and say things that I don't understand, so spill." She crossed her arms for a more dramatic gesture while Raven and Maliki gave each other unreadable looks.

After they failed to give her a response she decided a different path. "Fine, I'm leaving." She went to move out of the booth, but Maliki wouldn't move so she climbed over the table not caring about the annoyed glances by the workers. Violet didn't even care that she left her steak half eaten and Raven with the bill, she was over their secrecy.

Outside the full moon shined bright above the tree lines as Violet walked to Sylvia's car she borrowed, thankful she declined Raven's transport.

"You're so clueless." A feminine voice came from the alley way, just when Violet was a few feet from the car. She saw Nadia leaning on the wall with her head tilted towards the moon giving her white hair a scarlet look.

Being fed up with Raven and Maliki she had no patience for Nadia. "I swear you're in love with me, you just can't leave me alone, can you?" Violet crossed her arms waiting for her answer.

Nadia scoffed and looked at Violet narrowing her brown eyes at her, "Absolutely fucking clueless."

Violet finally snapped, "If I'm so clueless than please do explain."

Nadia just stood there as they stared each other down, if she knew everything then why didn't she just tell Violet? Nadia gave a cocky smile, "If you want to know then follow me." she walked away from Violet as a challenge which she accepted as she followed her down the alley way and just into the woods.

They both stood across from each other in a little clearing. "I'm here," Violet gestured to her surroundings. "So spill." Nadia started to remove her shirt showing off her toned torso and arms. "I'm not gay if that's what you think?"

Nadia only gave a laughed at her as she removed her cargo pants and stood in her underwear. "I'll show you what you really are." Violet didn't get to give a snarky reply because bones cracking stopped her. Nadia's body was shifting with her bones moving from their sockets and moving forward making her crouch. Her skin slowly ripped apart showing her red muscles and then brown fur.

Violet was frozen in fear as she watched a human shift into a wolf the size of a pickup truck. Her golden eyes locked onto Violet; her whole life she had felt like the predator- until this moment. Nadia bared her teeth at her and pounced, all Violet could do was scream and curl up into a ball on the ground.