Chapter 1: New Beginning

The Carter family were driving through dense forests as they made their way to Silver Mountain. It had taken them two days before they hit the half way mark, but Violet's Uncle Dan assured them it wasn't long now.

An elbow jammed into her side as Cooper her cousin played his PSV. "Jesus Cooper." She rubbed a hand over the spot he hit.

He looked up at her when the game was paused; His blue eyes where soft and his blonde shoulder length hair covered his eyes most of the times. Her Aunt Sylvia had tried many times to cut it, but he would rather give up his games then his hair. Which was a big deal coming from Cooper.

"Mom, Coopers hitting us again." Amelia said from the other side of Cooper, where both girls got their fair share of hits. Amelia and Cooper were twins leaving them with only their personality and gender to tell them apart. Cooper was older by three minutes, but with a shy nature Amelia wore the pants between them.

Aunt Sylvia turned around to face the children in the back, "Cooper honey..." that's all she had to say and Cooper tucked his elbows into his sides.

The Carter family were a perfect American family with two children of different genders and parents that are happily married. They were perfect until Violet came along one rainy night left on their doorstep. Thirteen years later and here she was moving to the middle of nowhere at seventeen.

She looked out of the window and watched her reflection; hazel eyes and waist-length black hair. Violet's appearance was nothing like her relatives and was a constant reminder of the outsider she was.

She tried counting the tall pine trees that fenced the road to distract herself, but they all became a brown and green blur. Instead she closed her eyes praying for something, anything, to make her feel like she belong somewhere.

Violet thought she saw a small black figure running in the woods behind the cover of trees. It ran faster than the car as it made ground ahead of them shifting from small to the size of a horse. She sat up in her seat trying to focus on the now black dot, but it was gone as quick as it came. Confused she sat back in her seat.

A yell came from Uncle Dan as a black blur ran right in front of the car forcing him to slam on the brakes swerving into the middle of the road. Everyone had their seat belts cling to their chest as they were thrown forward and back into their seats with a thud.

All five of them were silent as everyone tried to catch their breath, Sylvia grasped her husband's arm. "What was that!?"

"I think it was a dog." Uncle Dan replied out of breath. Violet was worried for him he wasn't exactly young and heart attacks were common among old people.

She scanned the area, hoping that her eyes could catch sight of the figure. Cooper coughed as he struggled to get even breathes in and out. Violet reached her hand around to his back to pat him, trying to calm him down.

After checking if everyone was alright, Uncle Dan moved the car back on the right side of the road and drove off. It was a little over lunchtime when we passed the old sign saying 'Welcome to Silver Mountain.'

This was their new home, and as Uncle Dan said 'for a very very long time' meaning they had no intention of leaving.

Violet couldn't wait once she finished school, then she'd be able to move away from her relatives and live by herself. She loves Aunt Sylvia and Uncle Dan, but there not her parents and wherever she went she felt out of place.

The good thing about living here was everything was covered in forest, she was sick of the city.

Sound of gravel against the tires peaked Violets interest.  She gazed up at the two-story house that was isolated, the neighbours where a 3 mile drive away.

Thick forest surrounded them like the Great Wall of China, blocking out the natural light coating the house in darkness. An old wooden porch wrapped around the first story of the house.

Violet grabbed her duffle bag from the back and made her way towards the front door with her Uncle.

"This is in the middle of nowhere, I hope theres Wi-Fi." Cooper said as his skinny arms struggled with his suitcase.

At the front door Uncle Dan opened the house with a creak and eagerly stepped in. There was a set of stairs to the right and hallways that branched off deeper into the house.

Uncle Dan smiled at Violet, "Home sweet home." They both messaged the wall trying to find the switch. Once Violet found the switch they were bathed in an orange glow. "I hope you like it here kiddo." He pat her on the back, earning a loud thud to Eco throughout the house.

She jogged up the stairs as if the duffel bag didn't weigh a thing, where as Cooper struggled with his.

After investigating each room she ended up picking one room at the end of the hallway. A double bed tucked into the corner and a walk-in-wardrobe to the right. She threw her bag on the bed and landed on it with a thud, this was just the beginning she though. Tomorrow would be school, she never fit in back home and she expected the exact same thing in Silver Mountain.