Wisps may lead you to more than your fate

Merida rode through the forest. She rode following the wisps that lit her way with their beckoning blue light. She didn't know where they were leading her and she didn't care. She rode with Angus's feet clomping on the ground. Her quiver hitting her back with the arrows moving inside it. She jumped over a log and skidded to a halt in a clearing. Angus stood there panting trying to catch his breath. She got down and stood tall and looked around. On the right side of the field the was nothing but when she turned her head to the left there lay a brown heap.

Merida walked closer. The brown heap began to take shape. She broke into a run and crouched down by the heap. Only it wasn't a heap. It was a guy. And he was hurt. He had an arrow in his arm and a deep cut on his stomach. She felt for a pulse and found one. Not very strong. She whistled for Angus. He came over. She picked up the boy and put it on Angus's back. She hopped on his back and snapped the reigns. "Heeyah!" She cried and angus took off.

There was no time to make it to the castle but the witch's cottage was close by. She would take him there and pray she would help her. Angus tore through the trail. She stopped Angus in the small clearing. She got up and raced to the door. She banged on it frantically. She heard a faint. "It's open."

She opened the door and found the "woodcarver" whittling. "Oh. Hello deary. Come back for more?" She asked.

"No. I need a favor. Please." Merida said frantically.

"What's wrong. You look like you've been hit by a hurricane." Said the witch.

"Come." Se said grabbing her arm and pulled her out to Angus and the boy.

"Who is this?" The witch asked.

"I don't know. The wisps led me to him. And he is barely alive." Merida told her.

"Oh. Well bring him in. Maybe there's still time." She said. Merida picked up the body and carried him to the cottage. The witch opened the door and inside was a table with the a cauldron beside it. "Put him there." The witch said gesturing towards the table. Merida walked over and set him down. For the first time she saw his face. He had brown hair and freckles. He was kinda cute but she didn't care. It was nothing for her to worry about. She had just won her freedom from her mother. She was not about to give it up now.

The witch went to work. She mixed ingredient after ingredient. "Pull the arrow out of his arm." She said. Merida walked over to the boy. She put her left hand on his arm. She grasped the shaft of the arrow in her right. She pushed down with her left hand and pulled up with her right. The arrow came out and the boy woke.

"W-what?" He said.

"Shhh. Your okay. I promise. Just rest. Your in good hands." Merida told him soothingly. And with that he blacked out again.

The witch went to work on a brew. It turned purple, then blue,then black. She seemed to be throwing everything under the kitchen sink in there. She even spit in it. Then it was ready. "Get me a bandage. Something to wrap around his stomach." The witch said.  "I wonder why the wisps led you to him so soon after winning your freedom. I'd ought to think they'd wait longer."

Merida spun around looking. She saw nothing. She bent down and tore the bottom hem of her dress. She handed it to her. He mother would have a cow about it but she didn't care. She didn't like this dress anyways. The witch snatched it an rubbed some of the black paste on it. "Take his shirt off. Cut it if you have to. Just get it off him. Quick now." The witch told her. Merida took out a small knife and cut the shirt up the middle and tore it off him. The witch came over and wrapped the bandage with the paste on it around the cut on his stomach. "He should be fine now deary. You should get home. I will send the crow when he wakes." The witch told her.