Chapter 1

{Six Months Later}
____

||Carmen Anders||

I stared at Dylan's face.

He looked so much younger when he was asleep. He looked like the 9 year old Dylan I'd met 7 years ago. I smiled as I brushed some of his hair away from his face.

I quietly got out of bed and opened the curtains. It was a sunny day, I knew the second I stepped outside, it would be freezing.

"They said it'll be around 45 degrees today. Not too bad for November if you ask me." I heard a familiar voice.

I turned around to see my dad leaning against the door with a coffee mug in his hand. My eyes widened and a smile streched arcoss my face.

"Daddy!" I exclaimed as I ran over to give him a hug.

"You're back early," I stated as I pulled away.

"Yeah, I guess I just missed you guys."

I rolled my eyes. "Sure you did. They let you off early, didn't they?"

He gave me a sheepish smile.

My dad's job required him to travel a lot but it didn't cause all the "family" and/or "daddy" issues that many people would expect.

My dad loved and enjoyed his job, but he made it clear that he loved us even more.

There was lots of Skyping when he was gone but he just loved sending letters. He thought they were cuter and to be honest, so did I.

"Breakfast will be ready in 10 so wake up Mr. Sleepyhead," he said looking at Dylan.

"Okay." I nodded with a smile dancing on my lips.

I took one look at Dylan's peaceful demeanor and decided to just wake him up after I'd taken a shower.

~*~. ~*~.

Breakfast was amazing, simply because my dad had made it. My mom was a good cook but my dad's cooking was way better.

"These eggs are just wow, Mr. Anders." Dylan told him.

"I told you they'd like them," My father said to my mother.

She rolled her eyes while a small smile danced on her lips.

"So what's the plan for today?" I asked with a mouth full of toast.

When my dad was home, we'd usually spend a whole day or at least do one activity together as a family, with Dylan of course.

There was silence as everyone chewed.

"Maybe after you two are out of school today, we could go all go visit Jason." My mother suggested.

I choked on my toast and Dylan immediately started patting my back as he handed me a glass of water.

"Are you okay?" My dad asked as I gulped down the water.

"Yeah, just choked," I said putting the empty glass down.

"We don't have to do it if you don't like the idea, Carmen." My mom told me.

"No, it's just that it's been six months."

"I know." She said quietly.

"I want to do it." Dylan said after a while, "We've all gone to talk to visit him alone at one point in time and it's miserable going alone. I think it'll be kind of nice if we all go together."

"I agree." My father said.

They all turned to look at me expectantly.

"I..." I trailed off.