Chapter 11

||Carmen Anders||

He was only joking.

Obviously. But my whole body still reacted as if he wasn't. My eyes widened slightly, my palms started to feel moist and I was sure my heart not only skipped one beat but several.

I hated myself for reacting the way I did but that didn't help my now clammy hands.

"You're gonna love it, get in."

"I'm not going on a date with you, Ryder." I managed to say.

He rolled his eyes. "I was only kidding, C. We're just going out to dinner. Now get in."

Not really knowing what had changed my mind, I finally gave in and got in. Maybe it was his new nickname for me.

C.

He closed my door and jogged over to the other side, quickly hopping in.

"Where to?" I asked.

"Dinner."

"At MayFord's?" I asked hopefully.

"Really wanna go there?" He asked as he started the car.

"Yes." I said nodding.

I honestly just wanted to eat something simple. A large milkshake and fries sounded just fine.

"But I-"

"Pretty please?" It was kinda strange, this conversation. Never in a million years would I have thought that I'd be sitting in a Ryder Byers's car, almost begging him to take me out to MayFord's Diner.

Not only had it kinda grown on me but I actually liked it. The basketball players hadn't been over there in a while so I really didn't mind it. But even if they had, if you went over there with the right person, then you'd have a good time.

And I guess Ryder was the right person.

He sighed. "Okay."

Smiling, I turned on the radio and it blasted Taylor Swift, causing the both of us to cringe.

"Oh God, no. Turn it off." He demanded.

I personally didn't really enjoy Taylor Swift, but knowing that it annoyed him gave me a reason to like her.

So I turned it down, not off, just down a little pinch.

"Carmen!"

"I don't know 'bout you!" I sang on the top of my lungs.

"I said turn it off!"

"But I'm feeling twenty-two!"

"Carmen!"

"Everything will be alright, if you keep me next to you!"

"I actually hate you!" He tried screaming over me.

I laughed but still continued singing happily because I knew he really didn't.

I knew Ryder Byers really did like me.

~*~.

The dinner was almost empty which was no surprise seeing as it was a Thursday night.

Ryder and I purposely chose to sit at the booth in the far corner because that was where we'd all first met. It was funny thinking about that day. How I had despised the whole idea of coming here only to end up having a good time.

Kyle, Parker and Ryder were a bunch of hooligans when they were together and back then I'd have hated them for it but now it was endearing.

"Bringing back some memories?" Ryder asked with a raised eyebrow.