Part 9

"If anyone objects to this marriage, let them speak now or forever hold their peace."

Skylar looked toward the main entrance to the church as though she surmised Kori would burst through those double doors at any second. Disappointment seeped through her when her little fantasy failed to come to fruition. What did you expect? She inwardly inquired. You only told her a million times that you were set on marrying Brad.

Brad. Standing there in the sharpest suit with a bright smile on his Grey's Anatomy worthy handsome face. He was charming, intelligent, hardworking, owned a spectacular smile, funny on occasion, always smelled of premium cologne and his was the best chicken Caesar salad Skylar had ever tasted.

But did she love him...really love him? Did her heart skip a beat whenever he entered a room? Did she ever have an urge to hold his hand, kiss his lips, leap into his embrace, make passionate love to him? Did just uttering his name bring a smile to her face and light up her eyes?

No. Staring into blue eyes darker than her own, Skylar finally admitted it to herself. She didn't yearn for Brad. She didn't want Brad. She cared for him, but she definitely was not in love with Brad. The women in her family tended to live well into their golden years, so at thirty-two, she could be facing over fifty years as Mrs. Skylar Sawyer. That thought suddenly scared the proverbial shit out of her.

When the preacher started to continue, Skylar politely interrupted him and then focused on the groom. Aware of the two reporters along with their cameramen that her father personally selected to broadcast the wedding, she inched closer to Brad and quietly spoke near his ear.

"Brad, I need to talk with you."

Although curious, he kept his smile in place. "Sure, honey. Let's finish up here first, okay?"

"This won't wait." Her eyes pleaded with him to comply. "Go to my dressing room? Please." Skylar began to detect murmuring amongst their guests, and out of the corner of her eye, she noticed one of the cameramen moving a bit closer in the hopes of hearing what the bride and groom to be were discussing.

With his displeasure beginning to show, Brad tersely nodded. Before following her, he addressed their guests with the fabrication that his bride suffered with blood sugar issues and that they would return shortly.

Inside the dressing room, Brad leaned against the wall next to the door with his arms folded over his chest while watching her pace back and forth. "What's going on, Skylar? You couldn't have chosen a more inopportune time to want to have a chat."

Shaking her head, Skylar stopped in front of the chair placed before the vanity. Pulling it out, she sat facing the upset man. "Chat would not describe the talk we need to have." When he opened his mouth to reply, she hurriedly continued, "I'm sorry, but I can't marry you."

Perplexity riddled Brad's handsome face. "What? What do you mean?"

"I can't go through with this wedding," Skylar gently replied. "I don't want to marry you."

It was Brad's turn to shake his head. "This is just a classic case of pre-wedding jitters." Walking toward her, he placed his hands on her shoulders while producing his most charming smile. "You'll be fine once you say I do, honey. It'll be fine. We'll get married, enjoy ourselves at the reception and then we'll be off on our honeymoon. Today is the start of an incredible life together."

"Why do you want to marry me, Brad?"

"What? Because...I love you."

"Why?"

"Do I need to write you an essay?" Nervously chuckling, he released Skylar's shoulders and shoved his hands into his pants pockets. "You're beautiful, you're smart, witty, funny, kind..." Brad shrugged. "It's easy to love you."