Part 8

Slipping out of Shopaholics when employees arrived to open the store for the day, Kori insisted on walking Skylar to her car. Backpack slung over her shoulder, she watched as the tall woman beeped her Lexus before opening the driver's side door and then turned back to her. Both were on the verge of crying and hoped that they could get through the next few moments without breaking down.

Putting her backpack on the ground, the young artist hugged her friend and one night lover, closing her eyes and enjoying as the other woman hugged her back. She would miss those arms. Hell, she would miss the whole person. Leaning back, she pressed her lips to Skylar's. It started out lightly, but then grew passionate as their tongues caressed, saying farewell.

Skylar blinked back tears while Kori attempted to casually wipe at her eyes. Trying out a wobbly smile, the blonde said, "I'll be out of the country for the next couple of weeks, but when I get back I'm going to contact some people about your art, okay? We need to get you in a gallery. I have a cousin in the art business who should be able to help us. She loves undiscovered talent."

Kori shook her head. "No, don't do that, Sky. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, but that's not a good idea."

The dentist cocked her head to the side quizzically. "Why not?"

Reaching up, Kori tenderly caressed her cheek. "Because I can't bear to see you again, talk to you again, knowing that you're taken. My heart's already cracking at the idea of you becoming a married woman in less than four hours. I don't need it to break." When two sneaky tears managed to escape, Kori quickly swiped at them. "So, I think it's best if we never come in contact with each other again."

Skylar didn't answer right away as the thoughts trampled one another in her mind. "This is it?"

"Are you going to marry him?"

Light eyes shined with unshed tears. "I have to, Kori."

Kori smiled, though it didn't quite reach her eyes. Reaching down, she grabbed her backpack and then kissed the other woman once more before gently patting her stomach. "Take care of this little one. I hope he or she has your eyes." She averted her eyes when unchecked tears began to slide down Skylar's face.

"Goodbye, sweetheart." Kori didn't hear Skylar's softly uttered response as she began to walk away.

After sneaking a bath at the hotel down the street from Shopaholics, Kori proceeded to work as usual, dressed in the standard Carmine's Car Wash maroon T-shirt and a pair of blue jeans. It was turning out to be a busy day already. Evidently, people wanted their cars to shine on Valentine's Day. Perhaps, they aimed to impress their sweeties.

Finished drying her eighth car of the morning, the young woman went on her first fifteen minute break. Grabbing a newspaper she found on an unoccupied round plastic table, Kori went to take a seat on the low wall next to the huge vacuum hoses where customers were supposed to pull in on arrival. She decided to read in the hopes that it would distract her from thinking about Skylar and what she was doing at that precise moment.

Opening the disorderly newspaper, hazel eyes immediately fell on the "Upcoming Weddings" section. And whose was the first wedding listed? Who had the big colored photograph of them smiling along with their groom to be? Skylar Whitney, of course. Sighing, Kori memorized the address of the church without bothering to wonder why she was doing so. So much for trying to push Skylar out of her head.

Snapping the newspaper closed, she stood up, walking over to where she found it. Depositing it there, she headed toward her Chevrolet, a model that was new when she was in grade school. Getting inside, she shut the door and then fingered the ring of keys in her hand while gazing through the windshield thoughtfully. No, she couldn't do it. She shouldn't do it. Kori cocked her head to the side while absently jingling the keys. Or should she? Was it just a coincidence that the first thing she saw when opening the newspaper was a picture of Skylar? It had to be a sign. Kori slowly nodded, a smile creeping onto her lips. Yeah, a sign.