Part 3

In that moment, Skylar decided to be completely honest. True, she hadn't known Kori very long but she instinctively knew that she could trust her not to tell. This couldn't get out because the press would have a field day with it. Her family didn't need that type of publicity.

"After being over a week late," Skylar started, "I decided that I needed to find out for sure, although, I was already ninety-five percent positive. Passing by Shopaholics, I made the decision to stop here for the confirmation. Buying what I needed, I went into the bathroom and did the test. I was right." She took a deep breath, knowing by the look on Kori's face that she already knew what she was about to say. "I'm pregnant."

Kori managed to keep the sigh that wanted to escape inward. And the plot thickened even more. That bad taste in her mouth returned as the unbidden thoughts of Skylar and her fiancé later this year bringing a life into the world together rushed into her mind. Kori took a deep breath while chastising herself. What do I care what she does and with whom? I don't know her and after tonight, I'll probably never see her again. After all, why would the daughter of the gov -- Kori softly gasped. That was it! That's what was so familiar about Skylar's name. Surely, it couldn't just be a coincidence.

Kori looked toward the other woman just in time to see a curious expression directed at her. "Weston Whitney. Is he your father?"

Skylar nodded with an unreadable look now on her face. "Yes, he is," was all that she offered. 

Hazel eyes widened considerably. Kori could hardly believe it. She was locked in Shopaholics with the daughter of Dr. Weston Whitney, the second time governor of Massachusetts and a retired highly acclaimed cardiologist from a prestigious hospital in Boston. What were the odds of something like that happening? It then slipped back into her mind what Skylar had just relayed. She was pregnant. Oh, man. Now what would the straight-laced Governor Whitney think of his daughter being with child before her wedding?

Though she had never personally met the man, unless one counted that parade she saw him at late last year, Kori had a strong feeling that he wouldn't take the news well. No, not at all. No wonder Skylar looked a bit worried when she admitted that she was pregnant!

"Do you know how far along you are?"

"Three weeks and six days," Skylar promptly answered, before taking a long sip from her glass of tea.

"Wow. You have it down to the very day?"

The blonde shrugged as she stared at her near empty plate. There were five fries and two bites of cheeseburger left, but she had suddenly lost her appetite at the mention of her father and her pregnancy.

"That was the last time I allowed him to-- I mean, that was the last time Brad and I made love."

Two eyebrows skyrocketed over what Skylar might have said had she not edited her statement at the last second. That was the last time you allowed him to what, Sky? Make love to you? And why use the word 'allowed' as though making love was something you endured for his sake? The plot was as thick as a rue now.

"Did you let him know that you suspected you were pregnant?"

Skylar shook her head. "I'll tell him tomorrow before the wedding." Releasing a loud breath, she continued, "I'm sure Brad will be thrilled. He did want us to start having children as soon as we got married." After a brief pause, she added, "He and my father."

Kori got the impression that Skylar wasn't as close with her father as he alluded to the public. She recalled once reading an article in the newspaper about him where he had described himself as the 'All American Family Man' and doted on what a close-knit family he had. He made them sound like the Waltons. Perhaps things weren't as perfect as Weston Whitney wanted them to appear. Figures, Kori thought. Is anyone involved with politics one hundred...or at least ninety-five percent honest?