A Single Word: Chapter 17

"Mama, Mama, help me get home

I'm out in the woods. I am out on my own.

I found me a werewolf, a nasty old mutt.

It showed me its teeth and went straight for my gut.

Mama, Mama, help me get home.

I'm out in the woods. I am out on my own.

I was stopped by a vampire, a rotting old wreck.

It showed me its teeth and went straight for my neck.

Mama, Mama, put me to bed.

I won't make it home. I'm already half-dead.

I met an Invalid and fell for his art.

He showed me his smile and went straight for my heart."

From "A Child's Walk Home," Nursery Rhymes and Folk Tales

― Lauren Oliver, Delirium

_________________________________________________________

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:

A Single Word.

"That bitch," shrieked Chris. I could almost imagine her expression; her face set into a snarl, teeth gritted tightly together and also sounding as though she might throttle any object thrown at her. "I am going to get to her. Oh, you just wait. When she least expects it, I'm going to dye her stupid hair bright orange. I'm going to fucking murder her when she sleeps―"

"Chris!" I yelled. I leaned the side of my head against the door and rolled my eyes. I could practically feel the heat of the waves of fury radiating from Chris. "We've talked about this. Murder is illegal."

"Not if they never find a body."

I recoiled from the door. "Why do you have that answer ready, Christina?"

"I've been plotting ways of making Danielle Griggory have a slow pain full death ever since I had my growth spurt in fifth grade. Remember that stupid science class? When Mrs. Morgens told us there was a hormone that was responsible for your growth? And that very tall people were because that hormone didn't work correctly? She told everyone that Mom had it, that malfunction, and I also did," she paused to catch her breath. "Anyways, each idea is less likely than the next. But you get the general one."

I stared at the door that led to Jessica's room. The was the door I was leaning against now. I heard Jess laugh. It was Saturday at noon, and we came to Jessica's house to drop the ridiculous amount of homework she had to do, as well as telling her what had happened with Danielle and everything during the week. Well, Chris did anyway. I was determined to talk through the door and only through the door.

I very much did not want to get sick with chickenpox. I didn't catch it when Eric did, no matter how much Mom wanted to get over with the whole affair both at the same time. Mia hadn't been born yet.

"So Bells is having lunch with her boyfriend now?" I heard Jess asked.

"Don't start, Jessica!" I threatened, banging my head once against her bedroom door. "With one of you is enough. Besides, may I remind you that Carson Samuels will not be my boyfriend, like, ever."