I'm Hotter On The Internet: Chapter 10

"If one is forever cautious, can one remain a human being?"

— Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

_________________________________________________________

CHAPTER TEN:

I'm Hotter On The Internet

Christmas was a stressful day at my house.

But that was obvious.

Or maybe I'd prefer to say 'Christmas' as 'Christmas Eve' since that was the day Mom liked to celebrate and thank Jesus and eat turkey and Christmas cake and open presents and all the lot. Mom's family arrived around like three in the afternoon, when, thankfully (as said by Mom several times as she went to open the front door), we were all presentable, Mia, Erick, and I.

My Mother's family consisted of her brother, Andrey, her sister Heidi with her husband, Arthur, and my grandmother, Zaide. Yes, that's a name.

They talked a lot. We weren't allowed to say what was on our minds in front of our grandmother. Mom didn't like to talk about my father, and my Gran was unnecessarily unpleasant about it. She always asked, which annoyed me and angered me more than it did to Mom.

So It was around half an hour later when I began hoping they left soon.

In retrospect, our Christmas dinner went fine if we don't count any of the other years when Gran had too much to drink. It was snowing outside, and it was beautiful. Mom made the impressive dinner she made every year. We had apple pie as a dessert when we sat around in the living room and opened presents.

I looked at my presents, now scattered around in my bed. It was nearly midnight, and my family had already left. I think Mom bought this house as an excuse we didn't have any spare bedrooms. Erick stayed here until New Year's.

For Christmas, I got a Kindle from Mom (which made me yell as I opened it, I've always wanted a Kindle), a basket filled with all kinds of sweets from Mia, two Barnes & Noble gift cards for $30 each (respectively from my uncle and Erick) a watch from my Gran, and a Ravenclaw scarf from my aunt and Arthur. You're never too old to get Harry Potter themed presents, in my opinion.

I was happy that part of Christmas was over, and so I fervently hoped I could get some good sleep for once in what felt like forever.

I liked to stay until midnight on Christmas when everyone was asleep because I enjoyed hearing the fireworks at a distance. It's something I've done every year ever since I've been allowed to stay up late on special occasions. It reminds me of how much I have changed since I waited for Santa Claus.

I moved my new things from the bed and into the desk, climbing into bed quietly. Two minutes until it was officially Christmas, a day where all we do in my house is to eat Turkey sandwiches and watch Christmas movies. I grabbed my phone.

He said he stayed put for Christmas, like me, but I preferred not to ask much about it, afraid that I might upset him.

Me: Hey. Are you up?

Him: No.

Me: Haha.

Him: I didn't know a text message could seem sarcastic, but you've made it possible.

Me: How was your Christmas?

Him: It was good. What about you? Did your Mom murder your Grandma or something?

Me: Luckily, no. And I had a non-difficult Christmas for once.

One minute left to go. I sat up in my bed and closed my eyes. For me, Christmas always felt like a pre-New Year's eve. My phone vibrated.