The Breath Before The Kiss: Chapter 23

"We were

Just friends

That spoke like lovers

And that seemed to be enough for

Two teenagers who were scared to love one another."

—Anonymous.

_____________________________________________________

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE:

The Breath Before The Kiss.

That afternoon in late May was crisp and golden as an apple, the sun falling but not too hotly over the backyard of Jessica's ginormous backyard. Maria Juanita Rodriguez Stoner was turning eighty-seven today.

Jessica's grandmother was like the grandmother I never had. Well, I do have one, but the idea of a grandmother I wish I had. She used to bake cookies and send Mom empanadas and stuff and has always been like my own grandma.

Jess hugged Erick when she saw him. I tried not to think that Jessica used to have a massive crush on Erick when we were kids. Because then the hug might have then been weird. She embraced Carson too, and it made me think of how sometimes I needed Jessica's sparks rather than Christina's flame.

The party was in Jessica's enormous backyard, and it was full of sunshine and people laughing and singing and telling stories. The party was Mexican themed, and there were tortilla chips and guacamole and chile everywhere, and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. Jessica and her family were all wearing a charro and a poncho. It gave off an aura of peace.

Erick, Carson, and I had decided to walk since Jessica's house was a short distance from my own. Carson and I walked together, holding hands loosely, while I thought mine would sweat so much it might melt. Erick had kept glancing at our hands.

He and Erick had a surprisingly normal and guy-kind of conversation. My brother, thankfully, did not play the older brother role and tried to intimidate him. At least, not for now.

It was almost eight, and the sky was a blood orange color. I had been talking and dancing and eating guacamole all afternoon when I decided to sit on a bench and watch the guests. Especially a certain someone. But I did from a distance, and quietly, Erick came to sit down next to me.

"Have you watched Age Of Ultron yet?" I asked him as he sat down next to me on the bench.

"College, Isabelle," he reminded me, shoving me. I laughed. Erick paused. "Hey, by the way. Talking about long and complicated stories. What was the long and complicated one you wanted to tell me about Mom?"

I felt a weight drop in my stomach. The day felt cold as I remembered. "Mom is dating Mr. Langley," I confessed quickly. There was no need to beat around the bush, and I would feel worse if I did.

Erick blinked at me, an incredulous look on his face. "What are you talking about?" he asked me. As if this piece of information came from my imagination.

"I saw them making out on the couch the other night," I explained. He kept looking at me. "Erick. I'm not crazy. Nor exaggerating or making it up."

"Mr. Langley. Arthur Langley as in Mr. Langley, your psychologist after that bitch of Laura Griggory?"

"I wasn't aware his real name was Arthur, but yes," I sighed and ran a hand through my hair.

"Okay," Erick looked agitated all of a sudden, and his sight shifted toward nothing in particular. "When, what, how?"