Like Fan Fiction. Or Madonna: Chapter 2

"Replace fear of the unknown with curiosity."

Anonymous.

_________________________________________________________

CHAPTER TWO:

Like Fan Fiction. Or Madonna.

In the long, long list of things I hated, one that stood aside was the art of getting done in the mornings—well, mainly waking up, even if I don't sleep that much.

Sleep is always a good thing. Always.

"Ugh," I groaned as I attempted to turn off my alarm, and failing as after several seconds of looking, the thing kept sounding. It crashed to the floor, still making the continuous beep!

"Shut up," I groaned, grabbing it and hitting it against the floor multiple times.

I unplugged it and sat upon the bed, running a hand through my face. I stood up and stretched, popping some muscles in the process. I hated mornings with a passion— even more when I forced myself to wake up a minimum of twenty minutes earlier just to take a shower.

I opened the hot water and glanced at the wall in front of me, dreading another day at school and debating whether if I hit myself hard enough or the right number of times, it would get me to stay home today.

"God," I murmured groggily. I had stepped into the shower with socks on.

This time I did bang my head once against the wall.

Twenty minutes later, I'm in skinny jeans, a pink button-down shirt, and pink converse, my hair in a messy bun, and my bag on my side as I ate a large bowl of Lucky Charms. I glanced at my phone as I read, with Mom scowling at me.

"It's almost eight. I gotta go," I announced, getting up from the kitchen table and washing my plate. I kissed my mom on the forehead and grabbed my non-existent car keys from the table, and began to walk down the sidewalk.

Since the bonfire two weeks ago, I had nearly successfully avoided every human being that had gone to that activity. The only downside was the fact that I seemed to be in Danielle's spotlight again, and Aiden greeted me each time I met with him in the hallways at school. And—

I pushed the thought of the letter away from my mind, every minute sure that nobody would find it in a place full of books, and better versions of that novel in particular. Chris and Jess hadn't said a word. Writing a letter to a stranger was one of those ideas you decide to be stupid about for a moment with your friends.

A kind of experience you fervently hope not to regret shortly.

I had walked for ten minutes when a car halted in front of me. It made me jump, and I fell back, my body weight landing on my hands, which I scratched while I fell back.

As if mornings weren't shitty enough.

A hand appeared in front of me, followed by an all too familiar laugh. I wanted to curse out at Jessica's brother for being an idiot. Well, for being an idiot this early.

"You okay down there, Isabelle?" Ryder asked between laughs, getting down from the car and offering me his hand.

"Well, I just nearly died thanks to nearly hit with your stupid car," I gave him a thumbs up and smiled sarcastically. "What the actual hell is wrong with you?" I nearly yelled. I grabbed his hand and saw he was having a hard time trying to choke down his laughs. "You could've hit me! You idiot!" I slapped his arm.

"Hey!" Laughs. "Ow!" I slapped him again. Hard. "Stop hitting me! I was giving you a ride!"

"Shut up," I advised him. "Where's Jess?"