Chapter Thirteen

My breathing sharpens. Then it slows. Then I'm not breathing at all. My heart pounds faster and faster and I'm afraid it will burst. My palms steadily becoming sweaty, the droplets of liquid nerves sticking to my skin. I wipe them against the fabric of my dress, but it doesn't help.

My hands fall to my sides and draw my attention to the skirt of my dress. I look down at it and begin observing.

My dress does not compare to the other contestants'.

I saw them. I know how elegant, and beautiful they looked before they went before King Xerxes. Some women had worn different styles of headpieces, each gloriously designed. Others had adorned themselves with nose rings and necklaces embellished with Persian rubies or stones. I continue to bore into the silk, white fabric draping over my body. It is plain.

Maybe it's too plain.

I had only chosen it at the Eunuch's suggestion. If anyone knows what King Xerxes admires, it's him. Everything I am wearing was his choice: The modest, golden bangles and earrings, this simple silk dress. But as I'm standing here I start to second guess his vision.

Everything inside of me wants to find a place to run and crawl under, where no one will ever find me; where he can't see me.

I can't do this. I should just leave while I can. But all those months will have been for nothing! Ugh. Just breathe.

I gasp for air, momentarily forgetting how to breathe. Unintentionally I fill the room with echoes of the unladylike sound. Scrutinizing eyes dart in my direction.

At least they're not his eyes.

Then I hear footsteps. They are slow and steady against the large tiles that fill most of the palace. The sounds grow closer and I see a familiar face walk toward me. He smiles and parts his lips to speak.

"He'll see you now."

I reach out my arm and Haggai grabs the tips of my fingers. His warm touch calms my uncontrolled heartbeat just a little. I take one more lingering sweep down the length of my figure. Haggai catches me out of the corner of his eye. The soft, low hum of laughter vibrates from his chest.

"You can't possibly be nervous?!"

I hesitate to answer, but silence confirms his question.

"It's been months since I last saw him. Ever since the incident he hasn't seen any candidate until our beauty treatments were complete. Things can change in a year, Haggai."

The sandals tied across my ankles all the way up to my calves click against the marble tiles. Haggai directs my steps as he pulls me gently by the hand down the long corridor. I don't stare at the columns lined with gold and embellished with pomegranates. My eyes don't waver to the rapidly swirling rails that border the wall. All I can see are the double doors that separate me from King Xerxes.

My mind traces through my memories. I analyze his last words to me. He left me with so many questions and doubts. Can I trust him with my heart? Does he even want it? What kind of queen would I be if he chose me?

The doors become larger as I get closer. I tug on Haggai's arm, trying to slow his quick footsteps. I'm not ready to face the King Haggai doesn't slacken his pace. His muscles aren't even dented by the tightening grip of my fingers. I'm standing inches from the carved marble that makes up King Xerxes's door. His private chamber is within my reach.

Haggai looks down at me and his pink lips spread into a smile. All these months and he has been here for me. My one supporter, besides Mordeccai. I rise onto the tips of my toes. My lips gently graze his cheek and I slip back onto the heels of my feet. He taps the edges of his knuckles against the door.

An eerie creak splits through the air. Suddenly I forget how to breathe.