Chapter Five

As the light breaks through the open window, sweet aromas lull me out of my sleep. I crack open one eye, only to see Mary still sleeping next to my side, and my servants shuffling around the room. I sit up and rub my eyes vigorously. When my servants notice me they stop their tasks immediately and walk over to the bed. All in a line they stand in front of me, their faces refusing to reveal any emotion or hint of thought. I can't help but smile up at them.

"Good morning," I whisper shyly. They nod their heads and quickly disperse, and I hear light giggles exhaled. Pushing off the covers, I slowly stand and take a long look around the room. I'm still stunned by its enormity. I don't think I'll ever get use to this. My servant girls reenter the room minutes later, and I turn from early morning view of the window to see what they carry in their arms.

They quietly bow down and unravel the material for me to inspect.

"We thought you might like this to wear today."

I walk cautiously to the red and blue dress dangling from her hands. My fingers skim over the blue diamonds embellishing the entire bodice, then over the short sleeve lined with blue and gold mingled together.

"It is beautiful."

"We will help you prepare for the morning meal, and then show you to wear your treatments will be."

I smile in response, wondering if this is all a dream.

Gaftily places her fingers on my shoulders and guides me to turn around. Their fingers travel all over my body as they undress me. I bite my lip, hoping they can't see the embarrassment blooming on my cheeks. When the dress is slipped over my head and it drops over my body, I hold it to my chest, letting the silky fabric cling to my skin.

After they dress me their hands attack my hair. They are unyielding to my moans of pain, and do not stop until they say their work is complete. Several minutes later their hands finally fall back to themselves and I walk away from them, unsure of what I'm supposed to do now. When Dallyn lifts her hands toward the entrance of the room, I question her with my eyes.

"There is a large looking glass in a corridor to the left as you walk down the hall if you want to see yourself before the morning meal, my lady. If you require any changes to your apparel, please let us know."

Turning to look at the ruffled bed, I see Mary still sleeping, her tussled hair covering her eyes and cheeks.

"If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you make sure that her servants find her? I'm afraid I stole her away last night."

Gaftily and Dallyn nod reverently and I rush out of the room. Curiosity loosens my steps and carries me down the hall. My hands can't help but touch the tight neckline of the dress or run over the strips of fabric that flow down the bottom. I feel weightless, and beautiful.

When I see a shadowy corridor, I place my hand cautiously on the pillar that lines its entrance. Peeking over my shoulder I look to see if there are any other corridors that my servant girl could have been describing, but I don't see any others around except several yards away. This must be the right one.

I inch down it, letting my eyes adjust to the change in lighting. Before me I see a glint of silver light that draws me forward, but when I reach it it's not the mirror I thought it would be. Instead it's a silver handle attached to an expansive marble door. My fingers slip around the metal rod and yank it. When it opens, I'm greeted with a blast of warm air.

I swerve around the door and watch it shut behind me. Around me are walls covered in carvings or paintings. The dimness of this narrow corridor makes it hard to truly make out what the pictures are. I stop and stare, straining my eyes to make out what the pictures are. The closer I lean in to the wall I can make out a faint face of a woman. My eyes blink rapidly, and I place my hand over her painted features.