Chapter Seven

The days pass by Mary and me so quickly like the way sand slips through one's fingers. Each day is the same. Dallyn and Gaftilly, who have grown warmer to me every day, wake me up. The fragrance and oil treatments have already begun to change the texture of my skin, and it is hard to imagine I need an entire year of this special treatment.

Beauty treatments have ceased for the day, and I begin to roam leisurely around the harem, making sure to smile at the other contestants that pass me by. My hands skim the jewels stitched into the seams of my white dress. The fabric is heavy, and I am anxious that I could topple over any minute.

I study my feet carefully, cautiously placing them one in front of the other. When I spot pale feet wrapped with leather straps I slowly tilt my eyes up. Haggai gazes down at me as I stare up into his face.

"Hi," I whisper, then quickly contort my face into a smile.

He nods his head then finishes addressing me with a short bow.

"Follow me, my lady."

I watch the rotating movements of his shoulder blades with each poised step he takes. When he turns around, I snap my gaze away from him, hoping he didn't notice me staring. I have been so focused on observing him that I don't recognize the place that he has brought me to. I take a moment to soak in my surroundings.

"Where are we?"

The room is open, with cushioned seats below the diamond arched windows that circle the room. The patterned floor matches the green and purple flowers that creep through the windows. I tilt back my head and met the ceiling. It has eight different slants that connect at a single point in the very center, making the room symmetrical — not to mention beautiful. His voice breaks my entrancing thoughts and I focus in on him.

"I visit this place a lot. I'm hardly ever disturbed here, which is why I am so fond of it, I guess you could say. No one will overhear what I have to say to you here."

He gestures to the plush pillow seats and I follow the direction of his arm to the cushions in the center of the room. I slip into the structure carved out from the window and watched Haggai pace in front of me.

"I've overheard rumors that you met the king, that you were trespassing in forbidden parts of the palace, and that you actually spoke with him."

I struggle to say anything. I am not sure if this is good or bad. Haggai's face is stolid, and I cannot read his thoughts.

"Well?"

"Everything you say is true, Haggai. I was just trying to find a mirror..."

My sunken head jolts upward at the sound of laughter filling the air. Haggai's emotionless expression is long gone. Replacing it is a cheek splitting smile. I fidget with my hands as I watch him nervously.

"What's funny?"

His laughter calms and after several seconds he walks closer to me. His chin rests on the tip of his chest as he peers down at me.

"Are you familiar with ancient Persian law?"

I shake my head. Though I have lived in Persia my entire life, the laws that I have practice and learned are those of my ancestors. Mordeccai is the law expert, and he has always guided me in the ways of right and wrong.

"In addition to beauty treatments, you are going to have lessons to prepare you. They will begin this afternoon after the banquet."

I stand, our bodies now closer to each other.

"What exactly did I do wrong?"

Haggai turns his head and takes a lingering look out of the window directly at his side. When his eyes return to mine his face is creased in amusement.