Chapter Eleven

"Somehow I knew I'd find you here," a voice breaks through the darkness.

I wipe away the tears soaking my cheeks before I turn to search for the source of the voice. With the tears stinging my eyes and the lack of light in this place I can hardly see the form of his silhouette making his way gradually to me. The inside of my throat slowly constricts as I try to conceal my shaky breaths. I don't want him to see me this way. I don't want anyone to see me this way.

Fragments of darkness are shattered as a scraping of stone ignites the concealed torch in his hands. I can see him clearly now, as the flame grows. I turn my back to him, leaning against the wall. The thought of him seeing me in this state causes my cheeks to grow pink.

"Are you alright?"

My hands slide down the length of my arms, then trace themselves back up.

"You already know the answer to that, your majesty," I whisper.

He sighs. I hear his footsteps closer behind me.

"Sometimes as king I can let go of my better judgment and give into the darker parts of myself that I loathe. Like with Vashti. There is not a day that goes by that I don't regret what I did to her."

He pauses, as if considering if he should say more. I finally turn around. Warm light glows on his sharp features, contrasting the deep shadows the light creates. His eyes peer into me.

"My temper got the best of me that night. I was drunk, my advisors and princes were making merry. Things turned sour soon after someone asked for me to send for the queen. You see, she was such a sight to behold, and the men were quickly excited with the idea."

"What happened," I ask, wanting his words to come faster.

"She refused to come," he says in such a hushed voice I barely make out the words.

"I was so outraged. In front of my nobles and subjects she had defied a royal command. She made me look weak in front of my men. So, I asked what should be done with her, and Memucan suggested that she be banished from the realm."

His face sinks in shame and his eyes wander back and forth as if he is reliving the scene he just described.

"Today, I saw something in you," he says, drifting from a obviously painful subject.

"What did you see?"

He takes one last step. We are face to face. I feel the pinch of a lingering tear escaping my tear line. It runs down my cheek until it drips off my chin.

"I saw a person who didn't cower in the face of judgment. I was in a similar situation as you with Vashti. I held the life of a person in my hands and I chose revenge. You didn't, you were merciful and just. So now I finally have the answer to your question."

"What question ?" I ask, unsure of what he means.

"The kind of wife I want is someone as pure, and good as you."

His vibrant eyes travel down the length of my face until they stop at my lips. They rest there for what seems like forever. I hold my breath, my pulse throbbing inside my chest. He leans in until our faces are only inches apart.

His warm breath grazes my mouth as he says, "Such a remarkable girl like you would make Persia honored to have you as her queen."

My eyes shift from his lips and stare into his eyes. His softened orbs seem to smile down at me. My muscles tighten when his hands stroke the side of my face. The icy touch of his royal rings makes me gasp.

"Why are you saying these things?" I ask, though I'm too afraid to hear the answer.

His lips crack into a gentle smile.

"You should go now, before anyone finds you missing."

I nod my head repeatedly, but the thought of leaving makes my chest ache. I turn, without saying a word. His voice calls me back and I look over my shoulder.

"Be safe."

My hand grips the handle of the door, but I don't nudge it open. I wait, watching his slender form slip back into the darkness.