The Masquerade Ball

Chapter 8: The Masquerade Ball

MID'S POV

After picking up Jenna from the hospital, we began to slowly move her into the house. By we, I mean me. I had my arm wrapped around her waist, the other holding her up right as we walked through the front door. Basically, I'm holding her like a bride being carried by her husband.

"Easy... Jer, grab the door," I say as I walk Jenna to the couch.

"Stop fussing. I'm fine," Jenna insists as Jeremy does so. I scoff.

"Fine my ass," I mutter, causing her to roll her eyes.

"The doctor said you have to take it easy," Elena told her. Jeremy nodded.

"Yeah, you don't want to rip your stitches, hemorrhage and die, alright?" he said, making me chuckle. Jenna scoffs.

"Yeah, the only thing I'm going to die from is emmbaressment," she mutters. I give her a look.

"Why do you say that?" I ask. She gave me a look like I was crazy.

"I 'walked' into a knife and had my niece carry me to the hospital and back who is 17, how many people have that happen to them?" she asked me. I hum in response.

"Well, you're not like most people," I mumble, causing her to whack the back of my head. I laugh.

"Kidding," I say, laying her down on the couch.

"It was a freak accident," Elena says. Jeremy nods.

"Yeah, it happens," he says.

"Yeah, I mean. Matt has done it like twenty times at the Grill," I joke, making her chuckle. I sit next to her, pulling a blanket over her. "Okay, I'm trying to pull a smile out of you. Guilty."

Elena just laughs at me. I hold up the bag of food. "What do I do with this before I devour it?" I ask, making Elena roll her eyes.

"I got it," she says grabbing it and walking to the kitchen. Jeremy following.

"Don't ruine lunch!" I call after her, making her flip me off and Jenna and Jeremy laugh.

I sigh, looking down at Jenna. I shake my head, glaring at her stomach. "It's times like this I wish I had taken my father's offer to learn to be a medic at eight," I mumble. She smiles at me, grabbing my hand and rubbing her thumb over it.

"It's okay, Mid. It's not your fault. If it weren't for your fast thinking I could be dead," she tells me. I nod, even though I know that's not true. I heard Jeremy and Elena arguing in the kitchen, so I pulled piece of hair behind my ear and listened in.

"They tried to kill Jenna. We can't let them get away with that," I hear Jeremy say.

"Yes, we can. If it keeps us safe, we can. Just because Mid has super healing doesn't mean we do too," she tells him.

"What if she tries something else?" he asks. Elena sighs.

"She won't. The twins hurt Jenna because I didn't do as Katherine asked. Well, I'm doing it now. Me and Stefan are over," she says. I roll my eyes, getting up and walking to the kitchen with them.

"Elena, this isn't just about you. It's about all of us. You're being naive and that won't keep you alive in this battle. Come on, Jer. Grab your coat," I say and walk to the door. Jeremy does so and follows as Elena asks,

"Where are you going?" I turn to her, opening the door.

"Out. That's okay with you, right? Oh wait, you're not the older sister," I say, before leaving with Jer.