Chapter 13

When I walked into the living room of the house I noticed he was on the phone shouting. I only caught certain parts of the conversation because I was so out of it. "Why can't we do anything about it now.... That's Bullshit.... Tell your supervisor to call me back." It's been like this most of my life, if it wasn't one thing it was another. First, Harry and "her" - Then, I got robbed. Now, I have to be at the one place I'd rather not be. I was truly being tested and I was failing, I honestly don't know if I could handle anything else.

He threw the cordless phone across the room and it shattered into pieces. He fell down on the couch next to me and threw his arm around me, pulling me into him. I let him at first, but then I pulled away.

"Don't do that." I demanded. As much as I wanted to be in his arms, I couldn't let myself be that vulnerable with him. He let go as I demanded and leaned back on the couch and sighed deeply.

"Who was that on the phone?" I asked trying to change the mood in the room.

"The police." I was shocked. "The police? Why?" I asked.

"Because some fucker broke into your apartment that's why! And I've already called your landlord also." he said.

"What did they say?" I asked. That didn't even cross my mind that I should call those people. The first person I thought of was Harry.

"The police are working on it - slowly - and the landlord is getting the locks changed." he said.

"Oh." I breathed out.

"Like that will do any good." he said under his breath.

"What?" I asked.

"Brittany, I don't want you going back to that apartment! Who knows what could happen next or who could come in there. I don't want to think about what could've happened if you were there when they broke in. Just so you know you can stay here as long as you'd like. I'd prefer you stay here actually. I know you don't want to be here though, so I'd understand if you want to go somewhere else." he quickly said, all in one breath.

"Thanks Harry. That means a lot." I looked up and locked in on his eyes. He was staring at me, his eyes were full of sadness. I  felt bad for him. How is that? I thought to myself, how can I feel bad for him, when I was the one who was hurting.

"If you want me to get you a hotel room or if you want to stay with Linzey, I'll arrange that for you, if you want?" he asked as a soft smile adorned his handsome face.

He looked at me intensely while he waited on a reply from me. Did I want to stay somewhere else? I liked Linzey, she was a great friend, but I would feel like I was intruding on her alone time from him and I didn't want to be by myself in a hotel room, so his house was the only option.

"Can I just stay here..... with you?" I asked. His eyes brightened and he was smiling. It made me feel good about my decision for a split second, but what he had done always was in the back of my mind to keep me from feeling happy.

"Yes! I'd love...." his words trailed off for a moment as he gained his composure. ".... I'd really like it if you stayed here." he said, now calmer than before.

"I'll go make up a room for you, okay?" he suggested. I haven't stayed in the other rooms in the house, I've always stayed in his room. I nodded in agreement and watched him walk away. I laid my head back on the couch and took a deep breath for a few moments.

"Wanna come help me?" I jumped up to see him standing there in the foyer. He scared me. How long had he been standing there? I thought to myself.

"Okay." I said. So I followed him upstairs to a room that was 2 doors down from his own. "Will this be okay? It's the biggest room other than mine." he asked.