Chapter 1

I rushed around my brand new apartment looking for my nude-colored pumps, tripping over boxes scattered around my bedroom. Almost everything I owned was still in boxes, I have yet to unpack and I had been in L.A. for almost 2 weeks now. My best friend and I finally, after 4 years of planning, decided to move to L.A. from Atlanta.

"MADIIIIII!!!," I yelled down the hallway so that my roommate would hear me.

"Whutttt," she grumbled, still half asleep. "Why don't you unpack some of these boxes today while I'm gone? I'm headed out but I'll be back later. Wish me luck!" I replied as I checked my appearance one last time in the bent toaster on the kitchen bar before grabbing my keys and tote and heading out of the door.

The distance between our apartment and the location I was headed to was long enough for 3 songs to play on my iPod. As I creeped through this neighborhood in Malibu, I stopped in front of this house, as I strained my eyes to see the address number on the front gate. Looking back and forth from my napkin that I had quickly written the number on and the front gate, I let out a sigh of relief that I found it rather quickly. I still had 10 minutes left to spare.

Parking my car across the street, I quickly reapplied my lipstick, ran a brush through my hair, and took one last deep breath. I had wanted to move to L.A. for a lot longer than 4 years but it never seemed to work out until I got a call from this new company based here in L.A. I had sent my resume to the company through Twitter and had no idea they'd actually call to set up an interview.

I hope I wasn't too overdressed, Madi had decided to dress me in a navy pencil dress. It had a high neck and was paired with a thin nude waist belt. Thank goodness she had great fashion sense because I was a walking fashion nightmare. Standing outside of the gate to the house, I immediately became nervous as a short blonde-haired girl walked up to the gate to let me in after pressing the buzzer.

"You must be Brittany" she said. Nodding in agreement, she instructed me to follow her into the house. As I stepped into the front door, I quickly realized that the outside did not do this house any justice, the ceiling was so high and it was enormous on the inside. I followed her downstairs into an open room, she asked me did I want anything to drink and I politely declined. She left the room after letting me know that someone would be with me shortly.

For this to be a business, it wasn't formal at all, and I did feel extremely overdressed. I saw people running back and forth talking on their phones in the room adjacent to where I was sitting. I looked up to see a young guy coming out of the door with long brown, curly hair and when he noticed I was in the room he quickly shut the door and ran off. There was a pool outside with music equipment littered around the pool. I just focused on the water moving back and forth in the pool and before I knew it 45 minutes had passed before the girl who led me into the house acknowledged me. She was heading out for a swim and went and found someone.

"After you're finished, come join me outside," the girl said before closing the door behind her. If this didn't go smoothly, I may take her up on that offer and try to drown myself. I had moved here on a whim because of this job, it had to work out.

A few minutes later, the young guy with the curly hair from earlier sat down across from me on the couch. He seemed as nervous as I was, which made me feel less nervous. He shyly repeated the information on my resume back to me to make sure everything was correct.

" You seem like you don't want to be doing this." I said as he looked over my information. Looking up at me, he said, "You're right." We both started laughing after admitting that to me. " I was the only one free to do this and just to be clear, my people skills suck." I told him I understood and we carried on a light conversation about what the company was about and how they needed someone to help out with the loose ends, basically a floater, when someone needed something or some help, I was the one who did it.

I never caught the guys name, but he assured me that I secured the job. I wanted to jump up and down but held in my excitement. He told me to make myself at home and he'd be back soon to give me a tour of my workplace. I decided to walk outside by the pool, "HEY!, the girl from earlier called out to me. She was sitting at the far end of the pool with 2 other girls, all blonde-model types. I immediately felt self-conscious about myself.

"Hey you guys, this is Brittany. She's here for the position." She said sitting up in her chair. I waved expecting them to shun me, but they were real nice and outgoing. "Oh I'm Linzey by the way" finally introducing herself to me. "This is Natalie and Allie, they don't work here, they are just some friends." As I listened to the girls talk, they reminded me of my friends back home. We talked about my move here, how the interview went, and how much they loved my outfit.

All 4 of us were having a good time when they all stopped talking. I looked at them confused when I heard a British accent behind me. "Are you Brittany?" he said, making me spin around quickly in my chair. I stood up and looked at this man standing in front of me and I wanted to throw myself into the deep end of the pool. I knew exactly who he was and if I'd known this job was associated with him, I probably would still be in Atlanta right about now, I didn't want him to know that I knew who he was but I had crushed out on him years ago.

"Well....." he said, like I was wasting his time. "Yea... Yeah... Yes, I am Brittany," I said stuttering. "I'm Harry. Jamie is busy right now, so I'm going to give you a brief tour of the house and what you'll be doing," he said. I looked back at the girls and waved bye as they broke out into laughter. I didn't think anything was funny and I thought he sounded rather rude.

Holding the door open for me, I stepped through the door as he followed me while placing his hand on my lower back to guide me beside him as we started the tour. The tour was very brief and his attitude never faltered. He was all business. I took in as much as I could. He showed me where I would be working most of the time, unless someone needed something, or as assistant to someone when they went out of town. He said that there may be a lot of travel and long hours.

"Are you cut out for this Brittany?" he asked as he walked me towards the front door. He still had his hand on my lower back, he never removed it the entire walk through the house. "Yes, I am. Thank you for the opportunity. It means so much," I said in response to his question. "Great. Go home and get some rest. Tomorrow will be a long first day for you. Be here at 6 a.m., no later," he demanded.

I nodded as he seen me to my car. Letting out a deep breath that felt like I had been holding in the entire tour, I got into my car and headed towards the apartment. I had a huge smile on my face the entire way.

***BARE WITH ME. IT'LL GET BETTER, I PROMISE.***