Chapter 1

Chapter One: Frosty Morning

I gently opened my eyes, knowing it was the day of truth. Today was the reaping for the 74th Annual Hunger Games and I was ready to volunteer for it. Yes, I am one you could call a Career, though I am from District 15, we take the Hunger Games seriously. We were trained assassins, ready for the Capitol's disposal so I've trained all my life for this day, and I believe I am ready to take on the Capitol's games.

I looked around my room and noticed the light flooding in. This was strange for me. Belonging to the Astronomy District, we rarely saw the light of day, unless you count dawn or dusk. We were up all night, training for the games and learning about our world and the universe beyond.

I got up quietly and looked into my parents' room. They were both still fast asleep so I decided not to wake them. I was an only child, so I had no other siblings to worry about, since my brother, Andrew Trey Harridan, died in the arena of the 67th Hunger Games. My eye caught the photo of him in the corner. We could've passed as twins even though he was three years older than me, I thought sadly. I decided to go for a walk and look around my district before I went. I slipped on some clothes before chucking on some cargo boots and my thermal jacket.

As soon as I stepped outside I gasped. It was finally snowing. Usually it didn't come for another month or two. Our district lay in the mountains about a day's travel to the next district. I smiled happily. This must be a good omen for this year's Hunger Games. I laughed quietly as I danced through the streets of District 15. The snow fell lightly onto the roads beyond, then, outside the Justice Building I stopped. I looked at the Victor's Village standing quietly next to it. In total, we have had 11 victors, but only three are alive. Our last tribute to come back successful was during the 68th Hunger Games. Since then, no one has volunteered. I am determined to change that.

I stood proudly, facing the village. Then, as I turned to walk away, I heard a voice.

"Hey pretty. What you doing out here in the cold?" I smiled. I didn't need to turn around. I knew who it was.

"Hey Alec. I can only guess why you're out here." I turned around and sure enough, there was Alec Drewey, victor of the 68th Hunger Games, otherwise known as my best friend, though he was three years older than me.

Though I was only ten, I still remember his name being called when he was thirteen, when he walked up to the stage and the whispers that were going around. He was the youngest that year, all the tributes were 16 or over and was the least likely to win. Who would think that a scrawny 13 year old could beat a bunch of strong, burly teenagers, even if they were from district 12? Just to prove everyone wrong, he killed three tributes on the first day as the race to the Cornucopia went under way. He killed and escaped quickly, before the other Careers noticed.

Alec didn't want to join the Careers, knowing he would be killed very soon. The arena at his games was a mountain snowfield, just to his liking. He and I spent days in the snow of our district. We knew how to last the freezing nights. I remember the words he spoke to me before he went away.

"I'll win it Alexis, for you, for Andrew. I'll avenge him for you."

Alec chose the right point to bring me back to reality, when I was deep in thought. I felt a cold finger touch the back of my neck and I flinched then tripped on a rock and face-planted into the cold snow. I lay there for a while, just to annoy Alec. I waited only a couple of minutes when I felt a rough pair of hands lift me up to my feet.

"Nice one Lexi." He used the nickname only he can use. My brother came up with the nickname. At first, I hated it then I grew to like it. Partly because my brother insisted on using it, all the time. Alec came to using it because he was my brother's best friend also and joined in annoying me with it. Now, Alec cherishes the name and I love it more than ever.

"You know I'm ticklish!" I retorted back. I smiled as he shook his head. He hated my stupid remarks. He seemed to disappear, thinking about something serious, because his face suddenly fell.

"What's up, Alec?"

"You're going to go this year aren't you?" He didn't need to tell me what he was talking about. I knew all too well. Alec was always trying to convince me not to go, not to cause my parent's any more distress. He said he had avenged my brother's death, but I wanted to do it myself. I looked straight at his eyes when I replied.

"Yes." I looked down at my feet as I heard him shuffle awkwardly. He opened his mouth to talk but I held up my hand.

"Don't try to convince me otherwise. I want to go."

"You want to go get yourself mixed up with a bunch of other kids, half are about as bloodthirsty as a bear? You are not thinking straight. I don't want you to go. Neither would Andrew." He hit a soft spot. I rarely snapped at Alec. He was one of my only friends and I didn't want to lose him, but bringing up my brother up like that really ticked me off.

"Don't think you know what my brother would think. Besides, you've watched me train, don't deny it." I added the last part as he opened his mouth to say otherwise, "I've seen you. So, do you think I am good enough? Don't lie." He looked clammed up and wouldn't speak. I took that as a yes.

I shrugged my shoulders at him and he peeked up under his hood. His icy blue eyes blended looked so good with the white landscape. His dark brown hair that framed his face made them stand out even more. He opened his arms and hugged me tight.

"Don't do anything stupid." He said, barely holding himself together. I was confused.

"Alec, you're mentoring me."

"I know. That's why you better not do anything stupid."

He let go, but held my shoulders tight.

"If you're in this, you're going to have to tell me everything. Everything!" He almost yelled the last word, "Promise?"

"I promise Alec." He hugged me again then let me go.

"Get home, reaping's in two hours." I smiled and waved a hand in farewell, but I knew I was going to see him again soon.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

So there's chapter 1. Hope you enjoyed reading and I would love feedback. Should I continue it??

-MissXanderLudwig