Chapter 6

Chapter 6: Bloodbath at the Cornucopia

I was staring intently at the knives, when I got there, all hell would've broken loose. But I didn't care about anyone but myself right now. Getting myself to the Cornucopia was the first survival skill I needed. Then distantly, interrupting my thoughts, the sharp sound of gong exploded throughout the arena.

The 40 metre sprint was my deadset greatest skill. I flogged everyone, including the boys, and as soon as the gong sounded, I was off, staring only at the knives that were the start to my survival. I was the first one at the Cornucopia. I grabbed a handful of knives, leaving plenty for Clove and grabbed the sword. I flung the sword to Cato as he rocketed towards the Cornucopia. He nodded his thanks and turned, flinging the sword around and taking the boy from District 6's head off entirely.

I flung my first knife into on oncoming boy, the boy from 7 I think, but I didn't stop there. I looked around for more prey. I noticed that Marvel had already impaled the girl from 3, and he ripped his spear carelessly out of her body. I also noticed that Glimmer was hacking at the already dead body of a boy from some district.

I heard a voice out of nowhere,

"Lexi!" Cato ran up and jammed his sword towards me, but just off to the side. I turned around and saw a boy fall to the ground. Before I had time to acknowledge my thanks, I threw a knife directly at Cato's shoulder, and into an oncoming girl. He looked shocked, then realised what had happened and nodded his thanks.

Clove then shouted something unintelligible and pointed at two figures wrestling for a bag. I recognised Katniss at once, with another boy tribute.

"Get her Clove!" yelled Marvel, "Show her who's boss!" Clove flung one knife and it hit the boy, making him cough up blood before falling dead. She threw a second knife at Katniss, only to impale her bright orange backpack. I saw Katniss dash into the trees and I knew there was no hope in following her.

Clove was real mad now. I turned round to see her fling two knives in the space of 2 seconds, one of her victims dropping dead and while Marvel impaled his second victim, Cato saw the boy from 4 coming out of the Cornucopia and struck him down with one powerful blow. I noticed another girl running for her life, I yelled to Cody, who was the closest to her and he registered, sinking his blade deep into her abdomen, she fell to the ground as he jogged over to us.

I looked around to see if there were any more tributes to deal with. No, but the boy from 3 was making an escape. Clove threw her knife in is direction.

"No!" I yelled, flinging my knife and deflecting hers, "Go." I yelled again to the boy, "You owe me one!" He nodded and raced off into the trees with nothing in hand. I knew he'd be back, he wouldn't survive for long.

"Why did you do that for?" Clove bellowed at me, "I could've had one more kill but you stopped it! Why?" She looked extremely angry at me and I shrugged.

"He's useful, besides, he owes me, and he'll be back. When he does come, I'm going to have a very special job ahead for him. You should learn to use your enemies' talents for your own good, plan ahead. It could do you some good."

"Then what's the plan?" Asked Marvel. I held up my hand.

"Just wait and see." I answered, not giving any more information out.

We now turned all your remaining attention to the pile of food and supplies left at the Cornucopia. All of it could be useful and easy to take if it wasn't taken care of. I turned to the Careers. The girl from 4 had come up to us eventually, and we struck an alliance with her, she would be useful after all.

"Right. Can I get some of you to pack all the remaining supplies in a pyramid over there?" I pointed to a clear patch of grass about 20 metres from the Cornucopia, "And the other lot of you help dig up the mines that surrounded the plates." Glimmer looked angry.