Chapter 4

Chapter 4: Training

I lay awake in my bed for hours. There was no way I could get to sleep with all this racket going on outside. I put on a warm jacket and some cargo boots, close to the ones I have at home and went up the stairwell to the roof.

As I opened the door, I felt the cool air cascade in. I could finally breathe for the first time in several hours. I felt like I was back home, since we were almost always awake at night. I looked up at the sky but found no comfort. All the lights in Panem clouded the stars, making them almost impossible to see. I sighed and sat on the ground before something I was not expecting happened.

"Watch your back 15." I almost screamed and jumped up. I whipped around and sure enough, Cato was leaning on the wall smirking at me. I glared at him.

"Perhaps you could make yourself known to others before you go scaring them like that."

"It's my tactic in the arena, gorgeous." I glared even more. The blushing was over. He was now officially flirting with me, so I decided to play it back.

"That's not going to work, especially when you've got an entire pack behind you."

"That's true and why I've come to find you. After all, in 15 they do have the smartest people." He was making no lie. We did have the smartest people in Panem.

"So you want me to join you because I'm so smart."

"Yeah, we could use your ability to think, not fighting of course." He raised an eyebrow cockily.

"Oh, I see. Just because I'm smart you don't think I can handle a weapon. Well, you've got a surprise coming for you boy. I could handle a sword just as easily as you could." He seemed impressed.

"Why don't we have a little competition tomorrow, you, Lexi, against me?"

His use of my nickname stopped me short. I calmed down, trying to fight down what was rising up inside of me. I would not cry, not here, not now. But the way he said it reminded me exactly of Andrew. I realised he was waiting for a reply.

"Sure, you're on Cato. I will squash you like a bug, just like my district did with the Peacekeepers." It was true, our district didn't have Peacekeepers for some reason but I like to think we bashed them.

"I'm no bug, Peacekeepers are though." He grinned.

"Yeah, but they come from your district." He raised both his eyebrows.

"We'll see about that tomorrow." He said, poking me in the waist.

I flinched, big time. I was really ticklish. Cato grinned, realising this and started to chase me around the top of the building. He finally cornered me and a devilish smile filled his face.

No, no, Cato, stop! Please don't! Cato!" I screamed as he walked forward, but all he did was place both his hands on the wall either side of my head and smirked.

"Shut up Cato." I knew he was laughing inside.

"Now you know how scary I can be." He whispered in my ear.

I shivered. He, being this close, felt amazing. He looked straight into my eyes and said,

"Don't be scared. I won't hurt you. Not here anyhow."

"But in the Games?" I left my query hanging. He looked a bit upset.

"I don't want to be the one to kill you." I was now confused, but still played it cockily.

"Why is that Cato?" I said, poking him in the waist. Was it my imagination, or did he flinch? I poked him again. No, I wasn't imagining. I felt a smile playing on my lips.