Chapter 6 - Little Sophie

In the morning, after the rest of the night had passed quite uneventfully, Kaden and the merchant company continued on their way. The day went on without incident, and as they drew closer to what they had been told was probably the Moore estate, Kaden grew anxious. His heartbeat picked up and the almost forgotten butterflies took flight again in his stomach. He had never felt that nervous in his life; his palms were sweating but felt cold, the nervous jitters making him restless.

It was the thoughts of finally seeing Olivia again, to be able to hold her tight in his arms... hopefully.

Pup and Mousse picked up on his distress, making the mare speed up her pace and Pup to tag along on the left, yipping up at Kaden worriedly.

Doubts suddenly started filling his mind. What will she think of me? Am I too late? It has been over a week... Will she believe it is me?

The doubtful thoughts had him slowing the mare as he looked down at Pup. “I'm okay boy. Ready to see Olivia again?” The sound of a voice from behind him, had Kaden snapping his head up and looking over his shoulder at Rhett.

“Master Underwood, everything okay?” Rhett asked as he narrowed his eyes at Kaden suspiciously; he had been behaving more and more strange.

“Yes Rhett, just anxious to see an old friend again.” He smiled the smile that never reached his eyes. “And please call me Kaden as I told you before.”

Rhett shook his head. “Tis an old habit tha’s hard to break. Maybe … you could help us out with them Moore’s huh? Get us some trade goin’?”

“I’ll see what I can do.” Kaden’s attention was then diverted by the sight they came upon as they rounded a curve in the road, leaving the trees and the beaten road behind them. It was the Moore estate, a major part of it surrounded by a dark wooden fence. Parallel to it was the now cobbled road which led the way to the family castle. It really was a castle, just a small one, no bigger than the average noble’s mansion. They were quite secluded, living a private life from what he had heard. Away from the noble and royal politics. They were people who liked the simple life, with no unnecessary society complications.

An involuntary smile crept onto Kaden’s face at the sight of the castle. Finally!

On the fenced field, a man was riding a beautiful black stallion. When he spotted the merchants, he rode to greet them.

“Good day,” the man nodded in greeting. “May I help you?”

“Good day good Sir,” responded Rhett as he pulled the wagon to a halt next to the fence, he concentrated on speaking properly, “We’re looking to trade with the masters of the estate.”

The man on the other side of the fence looked them and their wagons over before responding; they were all very protective of each other on the estate, everyone was like family. “Aye, Lady Moore is usually interested in exotic seeds and new fabrics… but I don’t think you’d have luck today.”

“Why’s so?”

“They’re in a bit of a mood. Their daughter is gone.” The sad lilt in his voice made it sound like it was his own daughter that had gone away.

Kaden’s mind was working frantically… she’s gone….she’s gone… Didn’t she make it back? Did something happen? He got off Mousse and walked closer to the fence, leading the mare by the reins, Pup following them.

“What do you mean gone?” Kaden asked as he looked up at the man on the other side of the fence. Mousse lowered her head down and nibbled on the fresh grass, bumping away the stallion with her head when he tried to steal her bite as he pushed his head through the fence. Pup, the ever loyal companion to Kaden, merely sat by his feet, looking up at the exchange unnervingly perceptive.