Chapter 4 - Expected and Unexpected

Kaden woke up to Pup nudging his face gently. He groaned and turned away. It was just too comfortable to finally be able to sleep in a real bed, on a soft mattress, engulfed in clean linen. When he cracked an eye open towards the window, he saw that the day still hadn’t lit up the world and that gray clouds had gathered in the sky. A perfect day to stay in and sleep, or to just laze in front of a fireplace, doing absolutely nothing. He had loved days like that, even though he had been quite an adventurous and mischievous spirit, always on the move and up to no good, he used to indulge in days like this.

Pup walked over Kaden and nudged him again.

Kaden rolled onto his back and covered his eyes with his right hand. “But I don’t want too…” he whined, remembering when Olivia did the same. The thought made him smile, the way she had played him.

Pup on the other hand had different ideas. He climbed onto Kaden’s chest, laid down and let out a whimper.

“Ah!” Kaden exclaimed when he felt the weight settle on him, the claws barely digging in but still making him uncomfortable. He looked down at Pup. “I can hardly breathe Pup… God you’re heavy!”

Pup just stretched his head closer to Kaden and surprised him with a loving lick.

“I can’t believe this!” Kaden wiped at his face. “Get off… I’m not cuddling with you!” He successfully pushed Pup off and watched him trot over to the door where he yipped.

“Okay, I get the point.” Kaden grumpily got up and pulled on his pants and a shirt in haste. Walking up to the window, he looked out again. It was still early; the roosters hadn’t announced the arrival of dawn. There was some light barely seeping through the angry clouds. A thunder confirmed their fury.

“Just wonderful!” A familiar scowl appeared on Kaden’s face as he walked over to let Pup out.

 After they both got back in, Kaden walked over to the table where the basin to freshen up and shave. When Kaden had packed everything and checked that all his new belongings were accounted for, he and Pup made their way downstairs.

There were only a few patrons present breaking their fast. Kaden did a quick scan of them before settling at a corner table. He kept his head down while indulging in the breakfast fervently. It would take him some time to get used to eating real cooked food, that it was actually possible again. Of course, Pup had his own breakfast of raw meat and a nice bone to sharpen his teeth on. The patrons glanced warily at Kaden and the little black wolf at his feet but quickly went back to minding their own business when Kaden caught their stares.

They had to hurry. The only reason he and Pup got up so early was to join the merchant’s little caravan towards Remor.

After paying all his dues to the Innkeeper and buying extra food for the trip, Kaden went to get his new horse; a dark chocolate brown mare called Mousse. Apparently, the mare was named by the previous owner’s youngest daughter.

When he had the saddle bags filled, Kaden introduced Mousse to Pup. It seemed the mare was quite used to having other animals around and that the previous owner did not lie about her gentle nature. It was Pup who was more nervous and wary of the larger animal, but with Kaden around, the cub didn’t dare show fear. Pup’s bravery lasted only a short while though, till the mare brought her head down to sniff at the little creature curiously, which made him lay down suspiciously, letting out a little whimper in Kaden’s direction.

Kaden just laughed at Pup and walked closer to scratch the mare behind her ear, diverting her attention from the wolf to the man. She was rewarded with half an apple.

“See Pup, nothing to worry about.” Kaden crouched down and beckoned Pup to his side. “Good boy!” he praised him gently as he scratched the cub as well.