one

“Archie, please!” I beg for the nth time, pulling his arms in the most childish way someone would think of. I’m an actor, I can be anything! And if I have to act like a five-year-old kid to convince my best mate to help me, then help me God because I will do it.

I really want to do this and I know I can’t pull it off on my own. I need too many people to help me and even if I can be charming and we are all friends, I know it won’t be easy to get them to agree to help me. If Archie helps me, then it should be less difficult. Plus, I know they won’t understand my reason behind this, and I can’t hope they will understand, but I still have to do it. Not even Archie is understanding and he just looks at me judgingly.

“Reid, you’re mad,” he snorts looking away and rolling his eyes, shaking my hand off of his arm, but I grab it again.

“Please, please, pretty please?” I insist and he groans in pain, emotional pain I’m causing. “I’ll help you with Steph,” I propose and he tenses for ten seconds.

Steph is this girl Archie fancies. He’s crazy about her but he’s too shy to tell her or do something about it. I keep telling him to ask her out but he says she doesn’t see him in the same way and a gazillion of other lame, stupid excuses. She works at this vegan restaurant that I’ll have to visit later because it’s part of my plan.

“What could you do?” he retorts and I sigh. This guy is hopeless when it comes to Steph to the point I think I’ll have to ask her out in his name or write a letter pretending to be Archie. I’m ninety-nine per cent sure she fancies him, too.

“Lock you two in a room until you ask her out,” I offer shrugging and that gets me a good smack. “Oi! That hurts, you arse!” I complain, rubbing the sore spot on my temple.

“You deserve that,” he defends himself, taking the opportunity to walk away from me now that I’m concerned taking care of my most recent injury instead of keeping my grip on him.

Why am I always getting hurt? If it’s not my own clumsiness always threatening my life, it’s someone hitting my head. Don’t they know my brain is precious and we all should take care of it? I don’t go hitting others when I’m annoyed. Ugh these people, they have no control over their own emotions.

“C’mon, Archie. I’ll give you part of my liver when and if you need it,” I offer this time.

“You drink as much as I do, so your liver won’t be better than mine,” Archie declines and I sigh heavily. Why is he being so difficult!?

“A kidney then? A lung? What else can I give you without dying?” I question out loud and I can see the small smile on his lips, the same smile he’s fighting because if he smiles it means I’m closer to convince him. “Medullae? Blood? Do you want any other kind of tissue?”

“Reid, we’re not even compatible. If you donate any organ to me I would reject it and die so please, don’t even offer it,” he says and I sigh again. There goes my hope he had forgotten we have different blood types that are not compatible. “Seriously, man, why are you insisting so much? You don’t even know this girl, why don’t you just meet her like any normal human being would do? Why do you always have to do things in the most complicated way?”

“’Cos normal is too mainstream,” I say but he looks at me with an expression that tells me he’s not impressed and he doesn’t find my joke funny at all.

“Because Maca isn’t any other girl,” I state looking down, fighting my own smile that comes to my lips when I say her name.

I hear Archie sigh but I don’t mind, I keep thinking of Maca now that Archie brought her up.