seventeen

“Oh, I adore him!” she says and I give her a tight smile because those words make my guts twist in an unpleasant way. Her eyes sparkle with delight and her smile is wide and honest. I’ve tried to make it a joke but what if she actually likes Archie best? What if she thinks he’s more interesting, not so dramatic like me? What if she prefers someone who wouldn’t make her go around for a whole day on her own and just spend it with her?

“Really?” I ask trying to put at ease my worries. She says she’s grateful for the day I planned for her, I don’t have to worry about that. And I won’t think about her maybe liking Archie better, preferring to spend time with him. I tell myself Archie has Steph so I have nothing to worry about.

“He’s really nice and polite. Plus, the whole restaurant was amazing. The food was exquisite and the company made it best. We talked a lot and it was great to meet him,” she continues and my guts keep twisting.

Until now I didn’t think I was this insecure, that I could be jealous of my best mate. For a split of second I regret making her have lunch with him, but then I scold myself internally because I’m just being childish. Even if she likes Archie that much, Maca and I have a different connection, a story she can’t share with him and he is crazy for Steph!

God, I didn’t imagine I could be like this.

“He told me you asked about him mostly,” I add and my voice sounds strangled. I pray that she won’t notice but she furrows her brow and I want to slap myself mentally for not controlling my emotions better.

“Yeah. I decided it was better to ask you the questions I wanted to know. Plus, by getting to know him better I could also understand you. We pick our friends so the way they are can tell a lot about ourselves. I wanted to know the type of person that you would pick as a best mate.” I blink, processing her words and trying to convince my guts that I don’t have a reason to be jealous.

Why do I feel so insecure regarding Maca?

“Archie is the kind of guy I would befriend,” Maca continues. “And so would Mila, Moni and Havi. Although Moni would probably tease him eternally, especially about Steph. She preys on people like him. Sometimes I do feel like hurting her.” I laugh at her words but she has a serious expression and I wonder how much does Moni tease Maca. Could she be something like Grace?

“Just in case, let’s not allow Moni and my sister meet. I have a bad feeling about that,” I tell her and she laughs this time.

I relax when I see her laughing like that, looking so sweet and happy, like shining and my heart tugs in my chest, making me want to reach her and pull her closer. “But I’m sure that Moni would’ve made him ask Steph out by now. Archie would’ve done something just to get her to stop teasing him.”

“Ah!” I exclaim, remembering Archie’s texts today. “You noticed he fancies her, too.”

“It was so obvious!” is her response, as loud as mine, her voice tinted with excitement. “And she is head over heels over him, too. The way they look at each other was so evident. I think everyone could see it.” She giggles and I bite my lower lip, getting too caught up staring her.

Seeing her getting excited over Archie and Steph not only eases my jealousy but also makes my heart race because she looks so pretty when she gets excited. My smile gets wider not just because of what we’re talking about but because she’s in front of me and right now I can think of anything else I would rather do but watch her.

“Well, Archie is safe from your friend then because he asked Steph out today,” I inform her and her eyes widen in delight and surprise. “Whatever you told him really worked out. He didn’t need to be teased, he just needed you to tell him not to make her wait anymore.”