Sing to me: Chapter 4

Thank you everyone who is reading this. I am so stoked that poeple are actually reading something that I wrote. I did not have time to edit this. But please leave comments. Thank you again. 

Josh waited for a few moments. Watching as she closed the door and turned on the lights. He should leave, he knew but he didn’t. What if he never saw her again? So he did something totally uncharacteristic of him. Racing over to her door, he scribbled his number on a napkin and taped it to her door. Without thinking twice about it, he drove away until he got home, all the time smiling like a teenager.

He felt strange. Like every fiber of his being was buzzing. It was the exhilaration of having done something new. And he liked it. He felt the same as he did when they handed him his first scalpel. He laughed out loud into the emptiness of his house and then abruptly stopped, feeling stupid.

The next day, every time his phone rang, he willed it to be her. Even while seeing patients he would discreetly look at his phone but she didn’t call. He made excuses for her in his mind, and then thought maybe she didn’t want to speak to him, and then thought maybe she liked him and now she thought he was a crazy stalker.

‘Stop thinking’, his brain scolded.

It was almost 9 at night and he was sitting in his living room typing an email to Anna. He needed to mend their relationship. His phone rang in his room and he practically sprinted upstairs to get it.

“Hello”, he tried his best to sound normal.

“Hi, it’s Warda…., came the soft voice over the phone, she laughed, sounding almost nervous. ‘Hard to believe but I didn’t go out my front door all day, so I didn’t know that you left your number”.

Josh smiled; she didn’t hate him or think he was a stalker. She hadn’t seen it.

“Oh! I was thinking for a moment there that you saw the number and thought I was a crazy stalker”.

“No, Warda laughed and Josh found himself wanting to hear that again, ‘I had nothing to do today really, so I stayed home. I was taking out the trash when I saw the napkin on my door with a surgical tape”.

“I am going to ignore how you got my number all together and ask you other questions instead, said Josh, smiling, ‘why were you home all day”?

Warda laughed again and already Josh was thinking of the next witty thing to say, “I didn’t have anything to do; I freelance, so I work from home. No work means I had nothing to do all day.”

They chatted about her work for a while. And the entire time Josh debated whether he should ask her to have dinner with him or not. But Warda beat him to it.

“Hey have you had dinner yet”, she asked when there was a lull in the conversation.

“I was trying to ask you the same thing”, said Josh.

“Oh well, I did, in case you choked, hung up on me and then changed your number”, her voice was light, teasing.

Josh smiled, “Yes I suppose I deserved that. Can I make up for my abysmal behavior by taking you out to dinner?”

“I asked first, mister. You can make up for the beach incident in some other way”.

He fake sighed and said “I know this quiet place which serves great sea food. If you like sea food, that is.” He amended.

“I like sea food, yeah.”

“Pick you up in 30?”

“Sure…see you in a bit” said Warda and hung up.