Sing to me

Josh was walking along the beach with his sister Anna; it was dusk, as the sun went down, an almost tangible depression settled over the two of them. Another day gone and there was no improvement in their mother’s condition. They were thinking what the doctors were refusing to say just yet, she was slipping and there was nothing they could do. Not even Josh, with all his education and his Urology specialization.

He had been angry earlier, angry with God, with life, with any supreme power which was straightening the undercurrents of this world. Now all his strength had left him, he was tired, exhausted.

Anna squeezed his arm gently and murmured something about being tired and sleep; he nodded absently and kept walking, alone with his thoughts now. Anna and Josh were not close. It wasn’t that they fought but when you leave home at 16 and your sister is 4 years old, there is not much bonding time left. She is my sister he thought, turning to look at her retreating back, so much older now, so much wiser than her peers. He felt no connection. Truth was he felt connection to very few people in this world. Guess that is what comes out of having a dysfunctional family. He sighed.

Life had not been difficult, it had just been strange. And Josh dealt with it by shutting down and erecting walls.

He walked a good kilometer before stopping and straining his ears, someone was singing, beautiful clear female voice reached his ears, a song he hadn’t heard before.

‘And it’s been a while since I have seen the way

The candle lights your face

And it’s been a while

But I can still remember just the way you taste’

He drew closer, attracted to this person with the lovely voice. She stopped singing and scattered applause followed mixed with some laughter.

He stopped at a distance and observed the little group. There were two men and two women, all in their early twenties he guessed, sitting by a fire. He guessed the one who was singing was the one with the long hair. He couldn’t make out her face but as the flames made shadows dance on her face, he could tell that she had the largest eyes he had ever seen on anyone.

“That was a rock song you butchered”, voices travelled to him.

The long haired girl poked the guy sitting beside her in the ribs none too gently and smiled. He gave her a one armed hug and said “sing something else”.

And that is how Josh found himself sitting by a rock, listening to an unknown girl with beautiful eyes sing love songs.