13 - A Loss of Motivation

Sam's POV

I showed up at a decent hour, not to early and not too late, in hopes of catching Carly. Picking up my last paycheck was a good excuse of showing up. The rest was up to me to grow some balls and apologize. Despite everything she'd done, I couldn't bring myself to hate her. I had time to cool down, and think about everything that happened. I guess some of it was my fault. I should've told her how I felt. And after coming over here, I obviously couldn't stay away from her.

I straightened my shirt of the wrinkles and walked up the Jenkins' driveway, swallowing my pride. After ringing the doorbell, I heard shuffling immediately and a quiet mumble.

I waited a moments until seeing the brass doorknob turn, and the door opened to reveal a very distressed Eliza. Her redhead curls were up in a frizz, and yesterday's make up smeared over her surprised expression.

"Oh god," she said aloud. "The look on your face says that I need a mirror."

She turned to her reflection in the foyer, gaping at herself. Without saying a word, I slipped through the doorway and stood next to the stairwell.

"It seems that I'm incredibly indisposed right now," she grumbled, wiping the mascara from underneath her eyes. "You wouldn't mind waiting would you? I'd rather speak to you after I've had a shower and put on some clean clothes."

"Actually, I was wondering if I could talk to Carly for a second."

"She's not here, but you can wait for her while I make myself presentable."

"Do you know where she's at?"

"No, but I thank you for that," she said. "Ever since you quit, she's been acting odd."

"Maybe she's at Michelle's." I shoved my hands in my pockets and shrugged my shoulders.

"I already called them," she said, shaking her head. "Michelle said she last saw her with Cody. I think she's been running around with him."

I almost laughed at that one. There was no chance in hell that Carly would hang out with that guy, even if she were being forced to be his date to the debutante. She hated him. But that left only a few other people she could be with, and it didn't take much thought to figure out where she was. I'd suddenly remembered why I was so angry with her.

"I'll be right back. You can fix yourself something to drink if you'd like." Eliza waved at me before disappearing down the hallway.

After my mouth had gone dry, a drink didn't sound too bad. I wasn't sure if she meant alcohol or not, but I was already heading for the cabinet in the kitchen. I ended up pouring myself straight whiskey and downed it as fast as I could. The warmth of it spread through my chest and stomach, but didn't help put me at ease. Carly was probably with that bastard, throwing more money at him, using him for his dick. The inability to do something about it was eating at me.

Eliza found me sitting at the kitchen table with my forehead planted on the wood. She sat next to me, placing her hands in front of her and giving me that motherly look.

"What's wrong, Sam?"

I lifted my head and gave her a faint smile. "I'm fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive. You have the check?" I wasn't trying to sound greedy, but the more time I spent in there, the more I wanted to get out.

After staring at me for a few long seconds, she grabbed her purse from the other side of the table and fished for her checkbook. I watched as she wrote it out and carefully tore the paper away, putting it in an old bank envelope.

As she handed it to me, she paused. "This doesn't mean you don't have to come here anymore. You're welcome here any time you want."

"We'll see," I said, standing up. I was ready to be out of that house before Carly came home. I realized that I wasn't quite ready to see her. "I have to get going, but I'll keep in touch, alright?"

"Sure, Sam. I'll see you around." She didn't sound very convinced, but then again, I wasn't so convinced either.

I made my way out of the kitchen and was going to let myself out when the door was almost shoved in my face. Carly nearly crashed into me, but caught herself just in time. She didn't look up at me, and it made me just that much angrier. We exchanged words and she stepped aside, but I couldn't even recall what we said to each other. I just needed to get away.

I made a beeline for my car. I didn't look back. As soon as I made it out of the driveway, I grabbed my phone and dialed the only number I could think of. It rang and rang until I finally heard a click and a female voice.

"Fiona. It's Sam. Do you have time for a drink?"