07 - The Kiss

Sam's POV

Carly sat at the edge of her backyard pool with headphones in. Her smooth legs kicked at the water as she bobbed her head to the music, creating waves here and there. She wore a black bikini top with a pair of cut-off shorts, the sun reflecting from the glimmering tanning oil she rubbed all over herself.

After a few moments, she finally noticed me standing in the back doorway, gawking at her like some stalker. She removed the oversized sunglasses from her small face and grinned at me.

"Took you long enough," she complained, but with a hint of amusement in her eye.

"Had to call a cab," was all I said before throwing my shirt down and kicking off my shoes.

Carly watched me intently as I ran towards the average-sized body of water, and dove in with one huge splash. The water was freezing as to the fact it wasn't even spring yet, but the sun scorched on clear days like this. It was the perfect combination, especially with a little—okay, maybe a lot—of beer in my system.

As I resurfaced, goose bumps formed all over my skin from the cool lingering air. I slowly stumbled across the shallow end and paused in front of her.

Carly raised an eyebrow at me as she took her earphones out. She lifted her tiny fingers to the weak string that held her bikini top together, unconsciously playing with it. One swift move, and the little knot would come undone.

"How come?" she asked.

"What?"

I wasn't paying attention to anything she said, when I was secretly expecting her to tug the string down and expose exactly what I shouldn't have been thinking about.

"Why did you have to call a cab?" Her hand lazily dropped, making me lose hope.

"Uh, I'm drunk," I blurted. Which was probably why I couldn't stop looking at her like a piece of candy.

She gripped the edge of the concrete and leaned forward, pushing her cleavage together, which I couldn't stop staring at. Yeah, I was definitely drunk.

"Me too," she slyly chuckled, pulling a small bottle of Jeagermeister from behind her back.

I raised an eyebrow at her. "I thought you don't like to drink?"

"Are you kidding, Sam? It's my half-birthday." She twisted the cap from the bottle and took a swig, followed by a sour face.

"Really? This is why you asked me to come over here?"

She slowly nodded her head. "Yep."