02 - Stuck in a Rut

When he said we could hang out, I didn't think he really meant it. Of course I thought he was toying with me but once he sat down on the couch and turned on a hockey game, I realized he was being serious.

I mean, why would I even want to hang out with him? He had one purpose for me, and one purpose only. Which was why I didn't sit down when he offered. Instead, I stood right in front of the door with my fingers latched to the straps of my purse.

"I've got beer in the fridge," he suggested, gesturing his hand toward the kitchen, only for it to drop almost immediately. "Oh wait. You aren't even old enough to drink," he said teasingly.

"I don't drink anyway," I responded. It was the stone cold truth. I was born with a weak stomach, unable to handle the taste or smell of any kind of alcoholic beverage. It made me so sick that I couldn't even be around people with beer breath.  It's gross, that's all I'm saying.

"What the hell were you doing in a bar, then?" He questioned, turning down the hockey game with his abnormally large TV remote.

"My mom and I hang out there all the time."

"And she's cool with you doing this?" he motioned a finger back and forth between the both of us.

Eliza Jenkins, beautiful, wealthy divorcee, would be in no way 'cool' with me calling a 1-800 number to order a guy for sex. No way in hell. "Yeah, she gave me the money so that I could."

He stood up from the couch, but hid the shock from his face if there was any. "Really?" It was less of a question, and more of a short way to say 'I don't believe you.'

"Yes, really," I hissed, opening up my purse. "If you don't believe me, then look in here." I showed him the cash, which definitely didn't look like it came from an ATM. My mom was just really sloppy after a couple of bloody Mary's.

"Looks like you saved it up in your piggy bank," he chuckled.

It was already known that he wasn't going to give me what I wanted, so I snapped my purse shut and shoved it over my shoulder. "I think I'm just going to get out of here, alright? I don't want to hang, or watch hockey with you."

"Why not?"

My blood started to boil at his even-tempered attitude. He did not get mad—he only got amused. "Because you're a hooker," I spat.

"I prefer the word escort, thank you." He was relentless, and I was losing patience.

My hand shot for the door and quickly opened it before he could react. Nonetheless, it was a pointless gesture since Mickey easily grabbed my waist and pulled me back inside. We both lost momentum and hit the floor with my back against his chest. The fall had knocked the wind out of me, causing me to cough a couple times before I rolled off of him.

"What," I let out another hack, "is your problem?"

He sat up and looked me over for any potential bruises. Once he was satisfied, he picked me up by my waist and plopped me onto the couch. "The cops are already onto me," he stated calmly, as if it were nothing. "I can't have a seventeen year-old girl walking out of my apartment at this time of night."

"So I have to stay here...for the whole night?"

He nodded his head as his lips formed a thin line. "I'm really sorry about that. Do you want a soda, or some Kool-Aid?"

 My toes curled. "A sugary drink isn't going to make me feel better about this. I want to leave," I demanded.

Mickey's expression turned grave, which I hadn't expected. It wasn't playful like it had been.

"No," he groweled.

"You can't make me stay," I said, knowing that I was very wrong.

He moved closer to the couch and bent down to where his face was at my level. "What are you going to do about it?"

"I'll scream."

"No you won't."

"Just, please, let me go?" I shot him begging eyes, hoping they were enough. I was embarrassed already, and I just wanted to go home and lay in my bed.

"If I let you go outside, the both of us get arrested."

My eyes widened in shock. "The cops are really out there?"

He straightened up and stepped back with his arm extended toward the door. "Want to find out?"

My answer to his question was one that he already knew. I was stuck with him for the night.

*******