29 - Slade Secrets

With the paper coffee cup between her hands, Carly watched the steam rise above the rim. The weather outside was clear and beautiful, which meant it was a staggering 100 degrees outside. She had no intention of drinking her hot beverage, but Cody insisted that she meet him at this family owned coffee shop and she couldn't just loiter without ordering something. Just a cup of black coffee—the cheapest item on the menu.

She waited for half an hour before Cody finally showed up. He looked as dashing as ever in a thin black suit and a white shirt underneath. She looked like a bum compared to him with her messy bun and cut-off shorts. She would've dressed a little more appropriate if she knew he was going to dress semi-formal.

"What's the occasion?" she asked him as he sat down at the opposite side of the table.

"What?" He looked down at his clothes. "Oh. No occasion. I just try to look my best when I'm in town."

"No plans with a special girl later?"

"No one special," he said, smirking. "Just you."

"Very funny," she said with a playful scowl. "But in all seriousness, what are we doing here?"

The waitress inconveniently approached the table, taking down Cody's order of a frappe-something-or-other in the most flirty way possible. Carly didn't blame the girl. As obnoxious as he was, Cody had inherited some serious charm from his father.

Once the waitress walked away, Cody leaned over the table. "I brought you here for a good reason."

"And that reason is...?"

"You'll see."

"You're really going to leave me hanging here?"

Cody nodded just as his drink was placed in front of him. He thanked the waitress with a large grin and took a sip. Then he checked his watch before looking out the window. Carly watched him as he did this, wondering what the hell he was up to.

"Any minute now," he said, further confusing Carly.

"Are you waiting for someone?" she asked.

He ignored her, still watching out the window. Suddenly his eyes lit up and he pointed to something across the street. Carly's eyes followed his point of attention and noticed a mature blonde woman approaching the big doors of the old hotel across the street. But the woman didn't go in. She stood at the sidewalk as if she were waiting for something or someone.

"Okay..." Carly drew out the word, looking back at Cody. "What does this woman have to do with anything?"

"Look a little bit closer."

After squinting her eyes to focus a bit more, Carly realized who it was.

"Is that your mother?" she asked.

"Indeed it is."

"Why are we spying on her?"

"Just keep watching," he said.

The woman was looking down both sides of the street with anticipation, checking her phone every few seconds. Then a black town car with tinted windows pulled up. Cody's mother stepped back a little bit, as the car door opened. A man with equally blond hair appeared, embracing the woman in a hug. They must be old friends, Carly thought. But that thought completely washed away when the two engaged in a passionate kiss.

"Oh my god," Carly let it slip out. None of this was her business, yet Cody was sharing this with her. She looked at him, expecting surprise or agony on his face. Neither of those expressions were present. He was indifferent, as if this was nothing new. She still wanted to comfort him, to let him know she cared. "Cody..."