Face to Face

Christian stepped to the doorway and exhaled nervously. “Ah-ah, mask, Christian”, demanded Victor. He whipped the mask from his back pocket and put it over his face. Nitori was lying silently in the doorway as he approached her. When he was in arm’s reach of Nitori, she stopped crying and lifted her head. “What..the..hell”, he mumbled. She slowly sat up to her knees. He heard something dragging across the floor as she moved. “Hey, um, you need to eat”, he said robotically. Nitori sniffled and wiped her eyes with the back of her hand. Christian sat the bag of food down and kneeled beside Nitori. A light whine came from her mouth as she leaned into Christian’s shoulder. She roughly gathered his shirt in her hands and inhaled. He was frozen with confusion. Then he pulled her away from him, she screeched loudly, and he let her go. “Whoa, chill out, all the yelling is completely unnecessary!” scowled Christian. After ten seconds, she willingly released him and touched the bag of food. He stood up with his back to her and turned on the light. He pulled his cell phone out to check the time as he came back to her and took a seat. When he put his phone away and looked up at her, his breath skipped.

Nitori stared at him with her matted auburn hair all over her head, and innocent almond eyes as if she was waiting for his next command. That was his first time seeing her face. He was stricken by her attractive features. Then he noted a heavy metal shackle around her right ankle. Her dress was dirty, and there was visible dirt on her face, he assumed it came from her lying on the floor. “Damn, I wasn’t expecting this”, he mumbled as he pulled his thoughts together. He drew his sub sandwich from the bag. “Now this is a whole wheat bread, and I have turkey and white cheese on here with veggies. Don’t fuck over my food. If you’re not going to eat it, tell me now, because I’m starving.” She eagerly reached for the sandwich and bit it while he still had it in his grip. She chewed urgently and swallowed quickly to take another bite. “Well, I guess I found something that you’ll eat”, he stated feeling slightly relieved. She ate rapaciously and started to choke. He quickly sat the sandwich down and rapped on her back quickly. A few particle of food flew from her mouth as she coughed and caught her breath. Christian trembled from the adrenaline, “Hey now, you have to slow down, I’m not going to take it from you, this sandwich isn’t going anywhere. Eat like you have half of a brain, because I don’t know the Heimlich!”

With watery red eyes, she lifted the sandwich to her mouth and continued to eat whilst stared quizzically at Christian. He stared back at her, and then said, “What the hell are you looking at? Don’t you talk?” She blinked her eyes in an insipid manner and took another bite from the sandwich. “Well, I don’t care, you don’t have to talk to me, but you just need to chill out because none of us are babysitters okay, so all that crying shit needs to be over, you understand me? And I know you don’t want to be here, and I don’t want you here either, so you make my life easy, and maybe I’ll do the same for you” he prosed rudely.  

She ate as if Christian didn’t say a word as she started surveying the room. “Yep look all you want, there are no windows in here, so there’s no escape. All the screaming and crying you’ve been doing is pretty useless”, taunted Christian. Then she looked back at Christian and held up three fingers and tapped them on her chin. Christian was confused. She did it again and pointed to the cup he bought with his food. “So I guess that means you’re thirsty”, he said while nudging the cup in her direction. “You understand me, so you’re obviously not deaf. I guess you’re going to stay quiet just to make our lives difficult.” As she sucked the water from the straw, she grabbed the bag and rummaged through it to see if he had more food. Then she pulled out a medium-sized sack of cereal. She read the label and grinned enthusiastically. “Hell no, I want my cereal”, he demanded, reaching hastily for the bag. She frowned while snatching back and holding the cereal out of his reach. He was incensed by her audacity. “Is this bitch serious?” he whispered to himself. She turned her back to him, opened the bag, and began eating the cereal. He folded his arms tightly. “You are very fucking lucky. The only reason I didn’t tackle you is because I know you haven’t eaten in three days. But don’t think I’m some weak ass dude that you’re about to be bossing around with your pointing and sarcastic staring, no bitch, I’m not your servant, so enjoy my red wheat cereal that I paid ten dollars for, and I’m going to leave because you’ve officially pissed me off.” And with that statement, Christian stood to his feet, walked to the doorway, turned the light off and closed the door behind him. Then he made his way back to the fellas.