Fairy Tale Over

They were five lights from the station. Christian reached over and grabbed Nitori’s hand, he squeezed it and kissed it as well. “This nightmare is about to end Nitori, you trooped this shit out.” In the oncoming lane, Christian saw a royal blue Corvette with the red stripe on the side. Shit. That was Victor’s car. Moments later, Christian locked eyes with the driver, Victor, and he saw that Victor saw Nitori in the car. His heart fell through the floor. “Oh Fuck!” he yelled. In the next instant, the light turned green and Christian punched the gas so hard he nearly put his foot through the floor. Victor’s car screeched loudly as he made the illegal u-turn. The cars were flying and the chase was on. “Shit, shit, shit! Nitori, get my phone out of glove compartment.” She readily obeyed. As he went to unlock the phone, and call came through that he automatically answered. “You’re about to die mutherfucker?! I knew you couldn’t be trusted! I shoulda blew your fucking brains out when I had the chance! Can’t believe you played us for this bitch! I’m going to kill you and that bitch, hopefully her first, I wouldn’t want you to miss that” shouted Victor on the other end. “Come get me bitch!” Christian replied, then he hung up the phone. He dialed 9-1-1. “9-1-1, what’s your emergency?”, scripted the dispatcher. “They’re gonna kill us!! Come help! We need cops at Nording’s Point! They’re chasing me!” Christian spilled. “Sir, calm down, who’s chasing you?” the lady dispatcher asked. “I can’t hold a fucking conversation with you right now ma’am!! Send cops to Nording’s Point! Bye!” And he ended the call. “I hope you can run baby girl, cause we’re in for it”, Christian said as he ripped through the streets going a hundred and fifteen miles an hour. He squealed to a halt to make a right turn, then a rapid left turn. He pulled to the edge of the woods and tore out of the car, he rushed around to get Nitori in sync.

The cold wind beat their faces as they tore through the woods. Victor and William’s laughs echoed through the air. Christian loped quickly as his legs would allow with Nitori in tow. She became winded and started slowing down. “Come on Nitori, we have to keep going!” As her hand slipped from his, she plunged to her knees into the sticks and gravel. He skidded to a stop, and immediately went to pick her up. She whined while holding her chest and shaking her head “no”.

He hyperventilated as he spoke to her, “You have to get up, because they are right behind us.” She glanced back over her shoulder and stared off shortly as their voices became louder. Nitori stood to her feet and grabbed his hand again. Instead of continuing to run straight, he led them to the right. They ran for another full minute and a half, until everything went quiet. The only thing leading them was the full moonlight. In the distance to their left, the moon reflected from the large bay.

They took cover under a large oak tree. Christian sat down on one of the large roots and eased Nitori down on his lap. Nitori sighed and curled up against his chest. She found the sound of his heartbeat therapeutic. Through a strong grip on her shoulders, he held her close. All he wanted was for Nitori to be safe. His conscience would never rest if anything happened to her. Additionally, his feelings for her were genuine, and he felt responsible for her since the day they brought her through the door screaming in that black sleeping bag.

“Nobody’s hurting you as long as I have anything to do with it”, he stated as his chin rested on her head. Her breaths were long and light, so he knew she was calm. “Since the first time I locked eyes with you, I tried to fight it, and I was so angry, but I wanted to just run away and take you home to your family.  I really wish they would have taken anybody in the world but you.” He squeezed her closer. “But at the same time, I’m glad they did.” He sat in silence as she held him close.

About twenty minutes later, he heard Victor scream, “Where the hell are you Chris?! You ready to die with your retarded bitch?!” Christian shook Nitori, “Come on, they’re coming.” She immediately jumped up and followed his lead. Then he was slightly relieved by the sound of police sirens.

He stared at the ledge of the cliff and then at Nitori. He face was full of fear and uncertainty. There were still howls and taunts echoing through the trees. They were closing in around them and Christian knew it. He was scared and felt trapped. Christian snatched Nitori into his chest and held her there, he didn’t say a word. She squeezed his torso so tightly that he took a while to catch his breath. “I can’t let them hurt you Nitori.” He was facing the cliff, glaring out into the water. It was a beautiful sight, probably the last one he’d see before he died. With a heart full of regret and sorrow, he took the gun from his waist holster and stepped back from Nitori. She studied him as he leveled the gun to her forehead. Her eyes welled up with tear, and his did the same. “I would rather kill you because I care than let them kill you because they don’t.” He dropped the hammer back and shut his eyes with pressed lips. She whined lightly and wiped the tears from her eyes.

Christian wished to die at that moment. Nitori’s tears were something he never wanted to be responsible for again. And all he wanted to do was kiss them all away and hold her under the moonlight. But he knew the fairy tale wasn’t going to end that way. Three armed maniacs were hot on their trail, and they weren’t ending the night without blood. Police sirens were all around them, and blaring on the land. Nitori stood there shivering and crying. Even she knew this wasn’t going to end well, and she was staring down the barrel of her end.

His nerved dwindled as the moments pasted. Snapping branches and quick feet became louder and louder. “Fuck it”, Christian groaned. He lowered the gun, and covered Nitori with his arms. She exhaled loudly and sunk her face deep into his chest. He folded his index finger under her chin and lifted her face. He locked his eyes with her and said, “I may die tonight, but I promise, I fucking love you.” And with that, he lowered his head and pressed his lips to Nitori’s. He was surprised that Nitori kissed him as well. She alternately locked her lips with his and held on to the back of his head. They shared the rush of adrenaline and oxytocin. Close. Bonded. Thirty seconds later, he lifted his head. The adoration in her eyes was indescribable. He was mesmerized by her raw beauty under the moonlight. He exhaled contently, “I can die happy now.” She smiled and stroked his face-

A loud pop rang out. Christian’s fingers dug into her shoulders, and his mouth popped open, spattering Nitori’s face in blood. Simultaneously, she gasped in agony. A single bullet ripped through the both of them. The shot tore through the right side of his back, through the front of his chest, continued into Nitori’shoulder and out her back. With the last of his might, he shoved Nitori back so hard that she stumbled and fell from the ledge. As she plummeted, there was a hail of gunfire, and she knew Christian was dead.

The fall was in slow motion. And though there was a moment of clarity, all that came to her mind was her parents and Christian. Seconds later, she hit the water with massive force and felt her consciousness slipping away. She didn’t try to fight as she was engulfed, and drifted into an eternal embrace of water and darkness.