Eight

Tabari stands as Bowyn enters the room, a scowl on his face. He glances around the room, his frown deepening as he spots Tabari.

"And what do you think you are doing in the servants quarters?" Bowyn says to Tabari.

"A pup was born and his mother died while giving birth to him, Your Majesty," A female omega says, stepping forward and bowing her head while curtsying. 

"The pup was not due for another month. How is it here already?" Bowyn asks the omega. 

"Her mate, Your Majesty," Another omega speaks up. "He hurt her very badly. She went into labor prematurely. It was clear that she was not going to survive the birthing process. "Petrova's final wish was for Tabari to take care of the pup."

"No. Tabari will not be taking the pup when it's father is still very much alive." 

"But please, Your Majesty,-" 

"No. There is no room for reasoning. Especially from you omegas. I will be taking the pup to its father and that is final. Now give me the pup, Tabari. Hand it over so it can go back to its rightful owner."

No," Tabari whispers. 

"What did you say to me?" 

"I said no. You can't send a pup, an omega, back to an abusive man! He would not survive the night! I will raise this pup! I do not want him to suffer his whole life!" 

"Of course he will suffer. He is a worthless omega. They deserve to get roughed up. They can't even look someone in the eye without cowering in fear! Pathetic omegas deserve their fates!" 

Tabari's heart clenches in pain and fear. His eyes raise to meet the King's. Bowyn's deep hazel eyes harden at the sign of disrespect. Tabari's gaze never wavers even though his wolf begs him to look away. 

"How dare you..." 

"What am I doing right now? I am looking you straight in the eyes. I will not submit to you. I will keep this pup and you will let me."

"I do not take orders from you," Bowyn snarls down at the omega. The other omegas leave the room, not wanting to be caught up in the fight that was bound to happen. 

"I am your mate! We are supposed to be equals! Omegas are not meant to be treated like garbage! Being thrown out when they are of no use and easily replaced! We are treated like we are something that is owned, treated as property! How is that fair to us? We are the same as every other wolf yet we are treated as the scum of the earth! Why did you take me from my home, my family, if you hate us omegas so strongly? Why?"

"Tabari," Bowyn growls, ignoring his words. "Give me the damn pup. Now!" 

"No!" 

Bowyn lunges at Tabari, the omega turning to protect Ambrose from Bowyn. Tabari is slammed against the wall, the boy yelping as his shoulder cracks against the stone surface. The pup in his arms wails painfully loud, afraid of Bowyn. 

"Tabari, hand it over or I will hurt you." 

"Never..."

Tabari screams as his legs are swept out from beneath him. He lands to the floor with a thud, his head slamming against the floor making his vision go black. He holds the pup closer to his chest, protecting him with his arms. 

The first punch lands on his jaw, dislocating it. Another punch to his eye, his cheek... Still, Tabari holds onto Ambrose, rolling over so the pup does not fall victim to the abuse. Tears roll down his cheeks as he screams in pain. Memories of him flowing to the forefront of his mind.