Two

After bringing the pups back to their parents' bedchamber, Tabari sits out on the balcony with his Uncle Ansel. Tabari asked his uncle to talk with him about the guest coming for supper. Tabari was nervous and did not want to be afraid if there were lots of large men joining them for supper.

"Uncle, I want to know who is visiting us tomorrow night. I know you refuse to tell anyone because you do not want word to spread throughout the kingdom, but I need to know."

"Oh, Tabari..." Ansel shakes his head and places his head in his hands. "It is terrible. His name is Bowyn Rowe. He is known for his ruthlessness like my father. But unlike my father, he kills without mercy. He is cruel to his pack members. He is not known for being merciful."

Tabari's heart pounds painfully in his chest. His worst fears of tomorrow were coming true. A larger unknown man with overwhelming power coming to the palace. Because he was technically a royal himself, he was required to join the supper. It terrified Tabari knowing that he would have to sit through the entire meal without leaving.

"Bowyn became King by killing his parents and siblings. Once he took over the kingdom he cut off all allies including my kingdom. He ruled over his people harshly, instilling fear in their hearts. It took us years to get him to meet with us. Tomorrow night we are going to discuss terms of potentially becoming allies. Our kingdom will be safer if we are on the right side of his sword."

"Uncle... do I have to go?"

"I am so very sorry, Tabari. He would like to meet everyone in the royal family. Everyone including Adela and Eloise will be there. Tabari please just one night. It is all I ask of you. For one night push aside your fear and stay. It will be just like any normal night except more people will be at the table than usual."

Tabari's gaze locks on his uncle's worry-filled eyes. It pained Ansel to ask Tabari such a thing knowing his past. But he feared that if he did not comply with King Bowyn's requests there would be some type of altercation between the two kingdoms. It was something Ansel could not afford to let happen. He loved his kingdom and his loyal subjects. He would do anything to protect them and make sure they lived to see another day.

"Just one night," Tabari whispers.

"Yes. Just one night. You do not even have to talk to anyone. Well, if King Bowyn asks you something you would have to answer. But not looking into the eyes of your superior is a sign of respect in his kingdom. So you will not have to look at him. I know it will not help much, but I hope it will be enough for a couple of hours."

Tabari takes a few deep breaths to calm his heart. Nodding in silent agreement.

"Thank you, Tabari. I know this is hard for you. But we will protect you if anything gets out of hand. I promise. If anything happens, Goddess forbid, my mates and I will make it so you and all the pups can escape. I promise nothing bad will happen to you tomorrow night."

Ansel knew as well as Tabari that his promise was just to make the younger feel better about his situation. In reality, several tragedies could happen and there was no guarantee that they were going to be safe. Nonetheless, Tabari appreciated that his uncle would be there to guide him through the supper.

"Yes, thank you, Uncle. I have to go now, I promised Akio I would take him to the town center for the festival the townspeople are having. Something about a great harvest this year. Akio wants to bring some spending money and visit all the stalls set up. Goodnight, Uncle."

Tabari excuses himself from the balcony without waiting for a response from Ansel. He exits the room through Ansel's bedchamber. Tabari notices Rumi and Greyson curled up on their bed, sleeping. Their young son cuddled up in the middle. Eloise, the only one awake, waves happily when he sees Tabari. Tabari smiles, placing his pointer finger over his mouth so the little boy wouldn't wake his fathers. The two Kings had a rough day and went to sleep before the sun even began to set. It would be best to let them sleep.

As Tabari prepares for his and Akio's journey to the town, Ansel's body shakes from his harsh sobs as he sits on the balcony. He hated making his nephew go to the supper and guilt pressed around him like a vice. He wished things could have been different. Tabari did not deserve to be afraid. He deserved to be happy and free. Tabari shouldn't cower at the sight of a man. It was not right.

Ansel sniffs, wiping his nose and gazing into the Evergreen Forest. The setting sun making the trees and everything else the shining rays touched glow golden. Sometimes he wished that he could just run into the woods to escape from his problems and duties as king. It was a painfully tempting idea, but an idea he could never act upon.

Ansel had to stay and complete his tasks as King. And for the past six years, everyone had been on edge because word about Alpha Blake's kingdom had been eerily quiet. It was very unnerving not knowing what he was plotting. No doubt, Blake was planning something, but what he was planning was a mystery. It made Ansel cry more, hating the unknown. It was sad to him, that a now twenty for year old man was crying about the unknown.

"Mama?"

Ansel turns to find his daughter gazing upon him with worried eyes.

"What is wrong, mama?"

Adela wraps her arms around Ansel's neck, sliding into his lap.

"It is okay, mama. Everybody needs to cry sometimes."

Ansel sobs into his daughter's shoulder, holding her close and caressing her blonde head.

Everybody needs to cry sometimes...

~~~

Akio giggles as he leads Tabari through the various stalls in the town's center. So many people crowded the area in wolf and human form. Tabari waked with his body tense and stiff, avoiding bumping into anyone at all costs.

"Tabari! Look," Akio points to a stall selling all types of cooked meats and vegetables. Tabari sighs, tugging out his satchel full of coins, knowing full and well that Akio would want something to eat.

Akio's hungry gaze flutters over the selection of food, ultimately landing on the large sausages.

Of course, he'd want the sausages...

"One of the sweet sausages, please," Akio says sweetly to the man working the stall. "On second thought, make it two please."

The man grunts, taking two sausages from the hot stone slab and placing them onto small woven plates. Tabari pays the man, hands shaking as his outstretched hand skims the man's hand.

Akio moans in delight as he bites into his sausage.

"It's so good," Akio says with his mouth full. "Try it, Tabari! You will love it. It is so sweet and delicious!"

Tabari hesitantly takes a bite. Akio was right. It was delicious. The sweetness of the sausage exploding on his tastebuds. Akio has a talent for sniffing out the best food.

All of a sudden Tabari feels uneasy, he looks up to find a boy around his age staring at him from across the space between stalls.

The boy has scraggly black hair and hard blue eyes. He looked the part of a commoner who had little to no money to his name. Dirt covering his face and clothes, his back slightly hunched. He looked like he wanted to approach Tabari but instead turns and walks away.

Tabari does not think about what he does next. Instead of going about his night and enjoying the time spent with his little brother, he stupidly follows the boy into the darkness behind the stalls...

*Remember to vote and comment!*

-LunaMoon