The reaping

A week flies by. Before I know it I'm the best of friends with all of the 4 transfers. I increase my weapon making skills and learn about my new culture.

Pretty soon the day of the reaping arrives. I wake up 30 minutes late. Of course. I quickly brush out my hair and throw on a dress with my denim, fur coat. I pull on my boots and gloves Aden gave me and slam the dresser closed.

I rush out the door right on time to join the others. We walk in a nervous silence, since our chances are high but the the chances of there being a volunteer are higher, it relaxes us a bit.

I leave my friends to stand in the 14 year old section and hear a murmuring around me. I'm the youngest transfer so I am alone.

Soon Mayor Tasha Perks addresses us, "Good morning everyone and happy hunger games! Today marks the 99th annual reaping and here we have our victor of the 95th hunger games, Sid Westmeath," Sid received a half hearted applause, since no one likes the fact he actually won, "and our district escort Pippin Pollen!"

Pippin steps up to the podium. Her silver hair glistens in the sun and her dress blinds everyone in the front 6 rows, including me. "Hello to you all in district 2 and happy hunger games! And may the odds ever be in your favour!"

The video of rebellion plays but I hardly pay attention. I'm having a mental debate on my odds, wether or not they are in my favor. The pessimist side of me wins. I am totally and utterly distressed.

Before I know it, Pippin is trotting her slim body over to the female tribute bowl. She stirs up the papers and delicately removes one. I watch as Sid glances and the paper. He slides back in his chair and shakes his head, sliding his hand down his clean-shaven face.

"Our female tribute is, AILBE JAVAL!" Pippin roars, just a tad to excited. I stumble backwards and some 15 year old pushes me into the walkway. I hear murmuring and quiet laughter. I straighten my jacket, push back my shoulders and proudly stride up to the stage. I see Aden and Reed stare at me in disbelief while Pheonix has tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Hello Ailbe! How old are you my dearest?" I shake away the fear, "I am 14." I announce proudly.

Pippin nods, "and are you surprised no one volunteered in your place?" I take a minutes to think of how to phrase this, "No. I am not. After all I am a transfer."

I turn on my heel and take a seat next to Sid. He squeezes my hand slightly and I return it, grateful to have him here with me.

"Oh my," pippin says, astonished, "We have a sassy one here with us today!" This receives a burst of laughter from my amazing friends.

Pippin glared at them, "Well, our male tribute is.." Before she could even grab another slip, "I VOLUNTEER!" Rings out across the crowd. An 18 year old, muscular boy prances onto the stage.

"My my my, what is you name?" Pippin sighs, obviously taken aback by his looks, "my name is Richard Cullan, I am 18 and most definitely not a transfer." He receives a loud cheer from the crowd.

We are shoved into the justice building as Pippin closes the ceremony. I am put in a room and wait for whoever to show up.

The door bursts open to reveal Pheonix, Reed and Aden. They rush into the room. "Are you alright?" Pheonix asks me, concern written all over her face. "I'm fine," I insist.

Both she and Reed nod and hug me tight. "We have to go," Reed admits, "they're making us cover your and Sid's shifts, but we'll be cheering for you all the way."

They wave and leave the room, reluctantly leaving me, and Aden, alone.

This is when I really break down. "How can I do this Aden!" I cry, "I have no skills to keep me alive." Aden wipes the tears away, "I've seen you with those weapons of yours." He says, holding my chin up to eye level, "and your agility and endurance is off the charts! Just learn some survival skills and your all set!" He hugs me and strokes my hair reassuringly.

"Aden," I ask, "make sure that metal box gets to me I the arena, I'd die without it." He nods solemnly, and turns to leave. He's about to exit the room when I stand up and he turns and opens his arms. I rush into them and he kisses me, "don't die, please," he laughs, "I need you."

"I can't make any promises," I sniffle. A peacekeeper escorts him away and I'm left to mentally prepare myself for the 99th annual Hunger Games.