17 - The Infinite Hell

(Darkest chapter right here folks. It gets worse before it gets better)

Tanjiro was thrown on to the floor, letting out a cry of pain as he landed.

"You insubordinate insect," Muzan hissed kicking the boy and sending him flying across the room. Tanjiro slammed into the wooden wall and crumpled, trembling.

"They've definitely followed us," Akaza warned looking out the open door of the infinite fortress.

"Just have Nakime transport us elsewhere," Doma smiled.

Muzan's face had veins splaying out under his skin as his rageful eyes stayed glued on Tanjiro, "No. We have them where we want them; I want everyone who's seen me to die," Muzan ordered.

"Yes, master," Kokushibo bowed.

"Kill the hashira, tear them apart, and then rip the demon slayer headquarters to the ground. Tonight is the end of the demon slayers," Muzan growled.

"And the girl with the hanafuda earrings?" Akaza asked. Kokushibo shifted, his eyes darting to his master.

Muzan was silent for a moment, turning so that his back was on all present, "Kill her."

Tanjiro eye's widened as he sat up and he growled. He didn't remember much from his life but he remembered Nezuko; how kind and sweet she smelled, how she was always smiling. He also knew death -  he remembered screaming and blood and he never wanted those two memories to come together. He couldn't let Nezuko die!

"Nakime!" Muzan ordered. There were multiple biwa sounds as suddenly the demons were transported. Tanjiro suddenly found himself on an open platform, Muzan equidistant from him as they had been before they had been transported. Nakime sat before Muzan, her one large eye emotionless with the kanji for Upper Four etched into it.

"Kaigaku," Muzan snapped. The demon appeared by his side instantly, kowtowing reverently to the man.

"Yes, Master?" Kaigaku asked.

"Demon slayers trespass here, kill them," Muzan snarled.

"As you wish," Kaigaku answered before running off.

Tanjiro was quietly trying to stand. He had to get away and find Nezuko. He had to escape again!

"And you," Muzan murmured, his voice soft but furious. Tanjiro looked up and found that Muzan was staring at him from over his shoulder. Nothing else had to be said, the fury in Muzan's eye was more terrifying to Tanjiro then anything he had ever witnessed.

Tanjiro was frozen in trepidation. His mind had left him leaving only an empty void of fear.

"All this, for a simple meal," Muzan scowled turning to face the boy.

Tanjiro remembered it vividly; the smell, the bloody mess, the taste that stained his lips as a cold hand had tried to force something down his throat. Simple meal? There was nothing that Tanjiro was more afraid of than what Muzan would make him eat.

"Since you've been so disobedient," Muzan murmured walking forward, his eyes never faltering from their quarry. "I suppose I should repay you."

Tanjiro found the strength to stand and did so gingerly and slowly, it didn't help. Muzan's movements were too fast and in a moment Tanjiro found himself in the familiar position of having his neck clenched by the demon lord who held him up, the boy's feet dangling inches off the floor.

"Rest assured," Muzan cooed, a sick smile on his lips, "I'll shove the corpse of every demon slayer killed today down your throat, including whatever remains of your precious sister."