Chapter 15: "Detention"

[ATLAS]

I can't seem to stop smoking and always have to hide behind the school building, just like right now.

"You've changed." Aubrey stares at me
as I take out my cigarette box.

"In what way?" I ask as I place the stick to my lips and grab the lighter out of my jeans pocket.

"You seem like you're getting along with the boys." She grins as she leans a bit to the front to stare at me.

"Am not." I mumble.

"Yes, you do! Admit it for once!"

"No."

She lifts her hands up and starts counting. "The race, the sleepover, the pillow war?-"

I grin and roll my eyes. "Fine! Maybe a little."

School is kinda fun, after meeting them. It sounds childish, but I do admit that I feel lonely when we have to part our ways. I wonder how I would feel like next year?... Zero, Corey, Brett and Jax will be gone. Would we still be in touch, I wonder?... Why does this even bother me?! Ah, shit! I'm sure we'll make the best out of this year, since we still have some time left.

She just smiles and stares up the cloudy sky. "Say, Atlas?"

"Yes?"

"Thoughts on Zero." She spontaneously blurts out, causing me to stop smoking.

Wait what?

"Why are you-"

She tilts her head to the side as she tries to figure me out. "You're acting quite shy around him."

Bullshit!

I let out a laughter as she stares irritated at me. "I am not! Why are you even asking?"

She innocently shrugs with her shoulders. "I don't know. You two seem close with each other."

In what way?!

"We're not! You're misunderstanding things."

She remains her eyes on me as she smiles. "Too bad. I really hoped to have you as my sister."

Is she serious right now?

I part my lips open after hearing that. "What?"

She shyly rubs her arm and looks away. "I have two brothers. A sister would be great too, you know?... Zero is an ass and we both agree to that, but he can be really kind and lovely."

Hold the fuck on! Didn't she hate him a few months ago?! Why is she siding him now?

"Bree." I mutter as she finally looks at me. "Did something happen?"

"No?" She confusingly raises her eyebrows at me. "Why?"

"Cause you're not being yourself today."

She laughs and shakes her head. "I don't know either."

I stick the cigarette back to my lips and inhale, which was a wrong mistake.

"Atlas-"

Oh Shit...

I was caught off guard, when a teacher suddenly stands infront of us with wide eyes open. "Ms. Walker and Ms. McCrae! In the principle's office, now!"

"Ma'am. Aubrey hasn't done anything-" I was about to defend Bree from my guilt, but get cut off.

"She is with you. That's a reason enough." The strict woman mutters and squints her eyes at me. "Though I must say, I'm really disappointed in you, Ms. McCrae. How come you hang out with such a rebellious person?"