Chapter 1: "When two souls accidentally meet"

[ATLAS]

I woke up by the scent of alcohol, which caused my nostrils to burn. How long have I been drinking? A year now? Ugh, who cares. It ain't important anyways.

I forcefully stand up from my bed. Just as I've lifted myself up, I feel my head thrombing painfully. A side affect for drinking too much. I do regret taking this messed up path, but I have no other choice. Drinking and having fun makes me forget my past. It's like I'm starting a new life. A new me.

Haha... Who am I kidding?

Ever since dad left my mom and me alone, things are complicated. I can't seem to accept the fact, that the perfect family I used to picture as a child got torn apart, because of a freaking affair. I mean, why chase another woman, when you have a family?... It doesn't make any sense. As I've said, complicated.

One thing is clear though. It sucks.

"Atlas, are you awake?" I hear my mom behind my door.

"Shit..." I mutter underneath my breath and grab the bottle from my desk. I quickly shove it behind the bookshelf, out of sight. Next, I open the window to let in some fresh air. I take a chewing gum strip out of my leather jacket and place it to my mouth, before answering her. "Yes, mom."

I don't want my mom to catch me doing these stuffs. She would be dead sick and probably put me into a rehab. I may be 17 already and look like 21, but having a mom like mine is like living life of a 5 year old. I somehow managed to get away with it for a year. All I need is time, my motorcycle and a chewing gum. The peppermint scent covers up the smell of nicotin and alcohol.

My mom, a beautiful woman in her mid forties, greets me with a smile. Honestly, I am amazed that she still looks this young. There are men, who would love to date her, but my mom doesn't want to. One from a bunch of reasons, why I love her. She doesn't let another person inside our life and ruin our family.

Her chocolate orbs scan my room as she walks in. "Good morning." She seems satisfied with the result of her inspection.

I breath out, noticing that I've been holding it for a while. With a smile I greet her back. "Morning."

We hold the stare for a while, until she starts rambling. "I will be coming late again. Make sure to lock the doors, eat your meal,-"

I playfully roll my eyes back and smile. "Take a bath, do your homework, don't go anywhere, no strangers allowed, blablabla. I know mom!"

She giggles and strokes my head. "Alright, darling. I just want to make sure." Her soft hands are placed to mine. I feel a sheet of paper and stare at her. "20 dollars, in case you need it."

I know, that my mom is a hard working woman. She manages to survive 10 hours in an office for a day.
I feel guilty for just taking the money, without her knowing, what I spend it for.

"I don't need it." I say.

She shakes her head, making her dark wavy locks sway to the the side. "Just take it." Again, she presses it into my hands and stands up.

"But mom-"

She turns around to look at me one last time. "You have school, darling. Get changed."

With that she gently closes the door behind her.

I stare at the dollars in my palm and clench my teeth together. The heavy feeling in my chest and my shame take over me again. "Damn it!"

~•~•~•~

I just stepped out from my red Yamaha motorcycle. I'm used to the stares I get from people. They seem surprised and fascinated at the same time that a women drives this type of vehicle.